Handheld GPS unit for coastal hunting

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Handheld GPS unit for coastal hunting

Postby killemNgrillem » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:28 am

Does anyone use them? If You do which one would you recommend?
Store bought meat makes me nervous!!!!
killemNgrillem
hunter

Re: Handheld GPS unit for coastal hunting

Postby canderso » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:04 pm

I use the Garmin Oregon 450t. I love it. Use it for hunting, canoeing, boating, hiking, etc. in my book, great piece of kit.
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Postby killemNgrillem » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:13 pm

I was looking at that one at Cabela's yesterday. Wasn't sure if I wanted to shell out $400 for it.
killemNgrillem
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:42 pm

I have a Delorme Pn-20, which is now outdated and I think they make a pn-40 or 60 version now. When I bought it a few years ago it was the first gps that you could overlay satellite images on. It was great for creeks and little pockets of water that do not show up on a normal topo map.

My brother picked up a gps last year that I think is a little more user friendly and you can overlay satellite images also. I am not sure the brand, I'll find out tomorrow or whenever I talk to him. I don't find myself using mine as much any more. I will plug a route over a satellite image to help navigate when running new spots in the dark, but most places I know like the back of my hand. I still use it for scouting or if I am in a jam while driving, but I still do just fine with a delorme atlas on the road :biggrin:

I'd reccomend a delorme product. They make a nice gps, but more importantly they have some of the best topo maps. They also have some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with. When I had a problem downloading data I called customer service which was in the midwest somewhere. I think I was on hold for less then a minute before I spoke to a friendly, english speaking, knowledgable person (very rare)! He had my problem resovled in a few minutes. Having great customer service is a big winner in my book :thumbsup:
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby killemNgrillem » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:14 am

Today I was back at cabelas with my daughter. I looked at the Garmin again. I definately will need to overlay the sattelite images. I was trying to find the one spot we hunt at Dennis Creek on this thing. the only thing it really showed was Dennis Creek itself. Of course the sattelite subscription is $30 a year with the Garmin. Now thats not a huge problem. My only issue with the 450T is the touch screen. I'm wondering if this will be a problem If and when it gets drops of water on it from the boat spray. I will definately do some reasearch on the delorme. I really wish I didn't live 2 1/2 to 3 hours away from the spots I love to hunt. Due to work I can't get out to scout like I want to so I'm thinking when I do get out a GPS might help me maximize my scouting time. As well as help me return to these spots in the dark. I figure I already have over 16K invested in this sport. Whats a couple hundred more, right?
killemNgrillem
hunter

Postby bayside » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:33 am

No need to look up dennis creek. there are no ducks there. never have been. Nothing to see move along. :yes:
bayside
hunter

Postby cedar creek sam » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:47 pm

On the water the Garmin 76 works well, has nav markers, tides, and has a larger screen than most of the current handheld ones. Available on Ebay at reasonable prices, some less than $100; uses AA batteries. It doesn't lock on under trees as well as the Vista H, however, which I use for woodland hunting, but is perfectly adequate for water where you're mostly open to the sky. It has lots of track space, plenty of memory, and adequate detail to get you to a spot and back in the fog (did that a couple of times). There are good mounts so you can have a place to stick it on your boat.

My favorite slightly larger one for a boat is the Garmin 176 but they're surprisingly pricey even used now, maybe because it is such a nice design. For lots more money the 376 is available, color (battery eater); the 176 C and 276 had trouble being seen in the sun, also color. B&W will get you there and back and not have as much trouble being seen in the sun and will be a lot easier on batteries; but always carry spares.
CC SAM

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
cedar creek sam
hunter

Postby killemNgrillem » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:05 pm

bayside wrote:No need to look up dennis creek. there are no ducks there. never have been. Nothing to see move along. :yes:

LOL Now that I think about it. You are correct. I wouldnt recommend hunting Dennis Creek. :lol3:
killemNgrillem
hunter

Postby duktatr » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:13 pm

I know you're lieing about dennis creek :0). I scouted it out after the season closed a few years ago and there were more blacks than you could shake a barrel at. Unfortunately, for me too far of a ride.
Down side, some punk left a over a dozen canada's in the parking lot to rot.
Any other GPS models worth a look or is Garmin the way to go?
duktatr
hunter

Postby NeverFail » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:34 am

I have a garmin 76 and it works well. I hunt the coast and the bay. I have many waypoints stored and tracks to get to and from my spots. I actually plug mine into my boat battery. I think it has alot more power then the AA batteries. My eyes are getting older so sometimes the tracks are hard to see so I zoom in farther to see them. It saved me a few times in the dark and fog when I would have never found the ditch I needed to get back to the boat launch. I think you would be happy with the Garmin. Mark
NeverFail
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting