Scouting, found a ruddy shelduck

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Scouting, found a ruddy shelduck

Postby DougyBeards » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:31 pm

Did some scouting today, and after four spots, I finally found every puddle duck species I was looking for. As an added bonus, I found a pair of ruddy shelducks today. They really had me stumped till I got home to the computer and did some research. Beautiful birds that do not frequent here. Last year in the same spot I had eurasians the day before the opener. Tons of ducks, and suprisingly ruddys, a bluebill, a lone hen ringneck, and shovelers joined the mix(wonder what happened to the ringnecks partners, she was all alone in the middle of nowhere). Took me till the last spot of the day, a local lake, to find a pair of widgeon. The teal were everywhere as were the wood ducks. Geese were migrating all day, flying dead southbound and sky high. Mallards and blacks couldnt be found with the wider array of ducks. They were together in their own spots far away from the crowd. The ducks are moving in heavy and were resting most of the morning, and feeding heavy in my evening scout
DougyBeards
hunter

Re: Scouting, found a ruddy shelduck

Postby ithaca10 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:42 am

North Zone?
Proud Father of a United States Marine
ithaca10
hunter

Postby Glasswater Outdoors » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:44 pm

Mike I think he is probably in the south zone. He would be having to put new tires on his truck if he drove around the North Zone and saw that many duck, let alone that many different ducks.
Glasswater Outdoors
hunter

Postby DougyBeards » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:13 pm

South zone indeed. Why wouldn't you guys see the same ducks we see? The first shovelers, bluewing teal, and ringnecks I ever saw were actually while I was working near Red Hook DEP on a a cold late December morning. I cant explain why so many teal were still this far North, let alone in a fairly deep basin next to the old ship yard, but they were there every day for the two weeks I was there.
DougyBeards
hunter

Postby FFT » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:00 am

DougyBeards wrote: a cold late December morning.

This.
FFT
hunter

Postby Slads » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:29 am

on a a cold late December morning

Exactly.
Slads
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting