New Duck Hunter looking for spots in South Zone

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

New Duck Hunter looking for spots in South Zone

Postby Demetri87 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:24 am

Hey guys,

Ive done some duck hunting in the past but mostly coastal zone. I live in Ventnor Nj and I am interested in venturing out towards the south zone to start hunting new ducks and new spots. I never had an experienced hunter show me the duck hunting ropes. Whatever I know is what Ive picked up on my own. Anyway, If anyone is from the area and can help me out in any way as far as locations or anything, I would appreciate it.

Thank you
Demetri87
Newb

Re: New Duck Hunter looking for spots in South Zone

Postby Swingo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:11 pm

Sorry, but nobody will ever give you locations. May as well ask for their bank account number and password. You've got to go scouting and knocking on farmer's doors.
Swingo
hunter

Postby papageno » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:02 pm

Get your wma maps online. Cross reference them with Google Earth images and scout. Look for little backwaters and approach tem slowly and quietly. Keep checking back over the course of the season as what seems like a good spot can be great one day and empty the next. There are infinite possibilities in SZ. I recommend a Creekboat that can be put on any car and is perfect for backwaters.
papageno
hunter

Postby Demetri87 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:14 pm

Thanks for the help and believe me, I don't expect anyone to tell me exactly where to go. I'm a hunter and fisherman as well and understand secrecy. I've spend the past week scouting Wharton state forest, the Mullica river east of lower bank, great egg harbor river and even tuckahoe wma. I found a few decent ponds in Wharton state forest but the flight is early and ends early. Also, it seems like the ducks are mostly black ducks from what I can tell. Does anyone have experience in Wharton? Is that a decent place to be looking? What about bass river? A problem I was experiencing with the Mullica is that I own a 12 ft aluminum boat with oars and from the areas I've seen on the Mullica and tuckahoe, it seems like you need a bigger boat with a decent engine to get out where the action is. The boat ramps all seem far from decent areas. Are the any areas you guys could point towards that a 12 ft boat without an engine can be accessed a little easier? Once again I appreciate any insight anyone is willing to give me. I'm a 25 year old guy that loves to hunt but just need a little hell getting going. Thanks again
Demetri87
Newb

Postby georgied88 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:50 pm

Hey bro, cant help too much on where you should be looking in some of those areas. Im newer like you, only 2 seasons under my belt but i love it and have as much fun as anybody. Im always looking to hunt with people rather than hunt alone. I have a 12ft jon as well with a little 6hp and kayaks. More than enough to have fun. If ur lookin to get together on a few hunts/scouts let me know, I hunt SZ mostly, just shoot me a PM. Good luck out there! :beer:
Exercise is the best medicine.
georgied88
hunter

Postby waterfowlwiz » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:46 am

out of the places you named egg harbor is prob your best bet... mullica river second.. tuckahoe.. then warton.. that is if you want a good mixed bag of ducks...... teal woodies mallards black.. and gets even better late season when the teal and woodies dissappear and the big ducks show up..
waterfowlwiz
hunter

Postby olclamman » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:54 pm

what ver happened to doing your own scouting and leg work instead of trying to get info from mthe comp put your time like we did back in the day and found where the birds are yes this is my rant
oc
circa 1957
retired less money more wife
olclamman
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting