Duck parasite or infection?

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Duck parasite or infection?

Postby duktatr » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:46 pm

Went out with Pop and a buddy on opening day in the North. We took home a few mallards that I opted not to make a meal of. They both had whitish puffy breast meat instead of the usual deep red. On the first duck both breasts were completely affected, the second duck was about 90%. I've seen rice breast before (Sarcocystis) and this wasn't it. Any ideas what it could be?

On the plus side, our first bird of the year was either the stupidest or lazyest black duck I've ever encountered. It's two buddy's took off as we approached with the boat to set up decoys but this one decided to swim into the weeds. He decided to introduce himself to our decoys 2 minutes after shooting time. We were checked by a pair of game officers while pulling out the boat. They noticed the bling! Called the band reporting number and am waiting to find out where it was banded.
duktatr
hunter

Re: Duck parasite or infection?

Postby papageno » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:11 pm

I'd bet it's just that it's a local bird. Probably the only exercise it gets all year is jumping from one toxic pit to another. I would be careful about the early season mallards you eat.
papageno
hunter

Re: Duck parasite or infection?

Postby duktatr » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:27 pm

They were pretty skinny birds compared to the fatties you can get late in the season. Very little fat under the skin. The meat was just whiteish. Never seen anything like it.
duktatr
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting