South zone opener

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

South zone opener

Postby DrakeH2oFowl » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:45 pm

Morning was a time to brush off the rust for sure. More or less exclusively a teal shoot. Not many big ducks to speak of, saw handful of black ducks, mallards, pintails, & a widgeon or two. Ended up with 10 green wingers in the morning combined. Jump shot wood ducks in the PM going 1 for 2. Shot a pretty hen, saw some real nice looking drakes, just couldn't connect. As always, good time in the blind and in the woods had by all.

It's been a long day, I'm tired. Good luck the rest of the season guys. :thumbsup:

DrakeH2oFowl
hunter

Re: South zone opener

Postby waterfowlwiz » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:40 am

There were tons of teal around. After the first hour me and my parther had seven greenwings and one hen mallard. We let the teal go after that and waited for some big ducks. We managed to get another hen mallard and two drake mallards. By 10:30 the teal were still flying so we just gave in and wacked one before the tide was all the way out. It was a better hunt then i was expecting. Opening days are hit or miss much like our shooting.. fifty or so shells and twelve ducks...
waterfowlwiz
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:47 am

waterfowlwiz wrote:fifty or so shells and twelve ducks...

:lol:

Unfortunately I have you beat! My shooting was horrible. Once the chaos started birds were zipping by from every direction. It was tough to pick shots out and be patience. I am impatience and ran about ten rounds through the gun before I connected on a passing shot. My brother had his limit before an hour had passed but had to wait till about 920 for my girlfriend and I to finish our limits :oops:

Its my fault for not shooting any clays after september goose was over. Resident geese present a much easier target than passing teal! At least by the time the big ducks are down we will be whipped back into wingshooting shape.

Btw nice shoot guys. And drake this is dan from the office...that 2am wakeup I told you about was rough!
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby xxDuckWildxx » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:44 pm

Pretty much a teal fest for us...saw very few big ducks and the ones we saw were mostly black ducks. Our shooting was horrible too, I spent the better part of two boxes of shells to get my six ducks. We ended up with 9 teal, 2 pintails and 1 drake mallard by 1pm. Great day, glad its finally duck season again, just hope I knock the rust off sooner than later!
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical"-Thomas Jefferson
xxDuckWildxx
hunter

Postby FFT » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:18 pm

The contrast of color on that wood is great, really a nice photo. Anyone else battle that afternoon flood tide? We couldnt sit in our sleds without them sinking. :rolleyes:
FFT
hunter

Postby DrakeH2oFowl » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:39 am

This morning was real slow, quicker tide than expected..Only put off 3 shots between dad & myself this morning at a flock of wood ducks that came & sat in our lap while callin other ducks. Not many other people out surprisingly..Buddy of mine told me they did well farther south on woodies..We'll see what happens this aftenroon..
DrakeH2oFowl
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting