Not Once but TWICE

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Not Once but TWICE

Postby georgied88 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:29 pm

I believe it goes, "fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me..."....well shame on me apparently :mad: Got skunked this morning and afternoon. :no:
Brought out two guys from DHC this morning, Demetri and his friend. Looked promising all last week but not so much today. Found we had a LOOOOOONG WALK through 1 ft water and less instead of the usual paddle through 3ft, i should have scouted that ahead of time :no: Set up a little late but saw woodies, some teal, and saw and heard widgeon (really woulda loved a widgeon). At one point had to small "ducks" fly in, I was almost positive they were grebes but wasnt sure so NO shot.
I've learned a few lessons today, one i knew but was reminded this morning, no matter how good of a caller you are, ur never good if youre not where the ducks want to land (we werent). Some guys on the other side of the lake had some shots which added aggravation. All pissed off we left at 830 :fingerhead: The same guys hunting by us in the AM pulled up in the same pond as me at the WMA in the afternoon, pretty funny, was it anybody on here? If so youd know who you are, you def had a better day then me.
Looking for redemption i went to the WMA hoping to see some birds moving and to scout for the morning. Great idea i thought. Lets say by the time I set everthing up, these were the thoughts going through my mind...."All this for some sh*tty tasting ducks?....Why am I not in a deer stand right now? .....Wow this mud smells like rotten egg farts :fingerhead: ....Hmm i may give up duck hunting entirely...." those are just some of my passing ideas. LOL :lol3: but in seriousness It sucked I brought half the marsh slop home with me on EVERYTHING. I Did bring out my lab to sit with me and she did well, not much fidgeting and no barking, i was impressed and it was good having someone to talk to :yes: Again saw some groups just couldnt get anything close. I think im trying an AM hunt but im not sure, the 10pt on trail cam is making me second guess AND thoughts of venison steaks are making my mouth water, we'll see. Til next time.
Exercise is the best medicine.
georgied88
hunter

Re: Not Once but TWICE

Postby NJTFM » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:13 am

georgied88 wrote:Hmm i may give up duck hunting entirely...." those are just some of my passing ideas.

We often have this feeling when things go horribly wrong :beer:
Team Fowl Mouth

Check out some of our sponsors!

Hevi-Shot

Pacific Calls

Spirit Pen - Camo Face Paint

TJ's Custom Lanyards

Lifetime Decoys

SRB Field Rests

Anser Decoys
NJTFM
hunter

Postby bayside » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:06 am

I feel your pain.
Been scouting hard and seeing good numbers of woodies. Decided to hunt Tues morning at the spot ducks have been seen regularly including Mon morning. Got there, at shooting time, no one around(heavily hunted on sat), set up, thought oh good beat the ducks. Sat for an hour. two woodies came in and landed behind a cedar stand. No other birds seen. Gave up the ghost, took a walk to another area nearby, 3 birds heard me and bolted before I could bust the brush for a shot.
Went to another woodie spot hoping...but no birds. Finished for the day. (Of course eight birds there this am, when I'm unarmed!)
Beginning to feel like Wile E. Coyote, just glad there are no cliffs around :lol3:

PS During scouting trips, I'm seeing lots of refuse. By this I mean hunter trash. Such as four spent hulls sitting upright in a square pattern. Somebody went to the trouble to arrange them but could not put them in their pocket! Pack out what you take in.

2012 Count
0 for the season
bayside
hunter

Postby Tr1ggerHappy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:59 pm

Georgie im not from the mays landing area but i hunt down there all time... I was skunked monday night a tuesday morning in that area also both time out of a WMA. I hunted monday night to see not much flying couple groups of teal very high up and a couple black ducks. Then before leaving drove in and out of the channels and kicked up a bunch of mallards black ducks and teal, so i hunted that area the next morning and had two teal drop in and take off with one shot from friend and it was a miss. I might be down tomorrow to try the ponds...hmmm maybe the ducks are liking the big water right now. I have a white dodge 1500 if you see me down there.
Tr1ggerHappy
hunter

Postby georgied88 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:51 am

NJTFM days when i feel like that I like to forget. :fingerhead:

Bayside, Its been tough, I got some redemption yesterday in the form of a teal and wood duck, missed a few others just wasnt shooting well. I start to fel like Mr coyote when those teal go buzzing by, seems like they laugh at me as they do it while my heads spinning. And yea Ive been seeing a LOT of spent shells out there, I pick them up with mine. I'll never understand how you cant do a quick sweep of where you were and at least try to pick up your empties.
PM sent Trigger.

Good luck guys
Exercise is the best medicine.
georgied88
hunter

Postby Tr1ggerHappy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:27 am

shot a couple teal this morning...still the numbers arent the usual but seem to be getting better well see...hope to meet up sometime georgie
Tr1ggerHappy
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting