Slow start - still feels good

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Slow start - still feels good

Postby papageno » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:03 pm

Slow start for me, too.

I just can't bring myself to fighting the crowds on opening day, so I tried to find some ducky areas that didn't get shot out. I got in on one of Dutch's shoots, and got enough shooting to get the swing on a couple of teal. Enough oil got into the second barrel's pin to get a second shot by the end of the morning, too.

Later that morning, my usual jump shooting woodie spot was surprisingly empty. We missed our one easy jump shot.

I sat next to a nearby woodie marsh to see what would fly by during the evening to gauge a next morning shoot. Too tired to set up, of course, I only watched as birds unexpectedly work into the area that afternoon. In the morning, I missed my pass shots as they came by at full throttle. They came close enough, but I couldn't time and swing fast enough. Another month in the field and my shot timing should improve enough to get some of those kinds of birds.

Always a pitty that the first rusty shots of the year are at screaming woodies and teal rather than slow dopey mallards loafing into the dekes.

Regardless, it was great to get out there...... absolutely great.
papageno
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting