Nov. 1 duckin'

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Nov. 1 duckin'

Postby DrakeH2oFowl » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:05 am

Not much moving today. Saw maybe a dozen big ducks. Before light I had ruddys milling around in the dekes and about 0730 I hear "splash splash". Pair of mallards in the dekes, scared them up & put them back down. Headed out to get them & had a bird whiz by up at 30-35 yards. Started following a hen buffie and folded her. Never shot one this early, let alone on freshwater this early! I'll give credit to Sandy for that one. Had a 6 pack of gadwalls land just outside the dekes, couldn't convince them any closer. Pretty sweet watching them maple leaf from a good 150+ yds up. That was worth it in itself. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Regrassed the powerhunter yesterday
Day's bag
DrakeH2oFowl
hunter

Re: Nov. 1 duckin'

Postby FOWLGAL » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:52 am

glad to see some ducks are still around. Hopefully sandy has messed up the hunting, but I feel she has at least for the coastal season I wonder what the ramps look like or if they are even still there.
FOWLGAL
hunter

Postby DrakeH2oFowl » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:18 am

FOWLGAL wrote:glad to see some ducks are still around. Hopefully sandy has messed up the hunting, but I feel she has at least for the coastal season I wonder what the ramps look like or if they are even still there.

Yeah, it's going to be interesting. My dad's not too adamant on going coastal this season, worried about running up on something that isn't supposed to be there or all the debris & trash in the water. I've been out of work since last Sunday cause of the storm and can't go back til Monday because our office didn't have power plus we can't really get onto the barrier islands to work..I know some roads took a beating though so I think access will be pretty tough this season..
DrakeH2oFowl
hunter

Postby FowlHooked » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:35 am

We are in mullica hill on a peach farm n i was told there was a pair of buffies on it wed. Thats not normal!Bout 15 mi from the Delaware.so birds are movin and that storm had them all off course!
Fowl Hooked Waterfowling on Facebook
FowlHooked
hunter

Postby Quackerbarrel » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:35 pm

Been seeing a ton of big ducks since the storm and have been seeing buffies also.
With Mantalokin to Island Beach closed I'm writing off coastal in my normal spots this year, have so much goin on from the storm that the north zone re-opener just crept up on me also. Probably going to have to stick to hunting the bay by me if I can find a place to launch that still exists.
Quackerbarrel
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting