sawmill

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

sawmill

Postby never-enough-guns » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:29 am

looking for some advice on entry to sawmill.I live nearby, just need some help with the area or would love to tag along for a trip.
Thanks
never-enough-guns
hunter

Re: sawmill

Postby duktatr » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:23 pm

There is only access via boat from the county park accross the river. I'm going to avoid the area for a few weeks until the get the sewage treatment plants are 100% operational again and the place has a chance to flush itself.
DEP issued an advisory:

DEP ISSUES RECREATIONAL FISHING AND BOATING ADVISORY

(12/P135) TRENTON –Due to damage caused by Hurricane Sandy, several waste water treatment facilities in the state are off-line, resulting in the temporary runoff of effluents into certain waterways. As a public health and safety precaution, the Department of Environmental Protection is advising recreational boaters, anglers and crabbers to temporarily avoid these waterways and is advising residents not to eat any fish, crustaceans or shellfish from these waters due to contamination from pathogens – bacteria and viruses.

Affected waters include the New Jersey portion of the Hudson River, Passaic River, Hackensack River, Newark Bay, Kill Van Kull and Arthur Kill, Raritan Bay, Raritan River, and Sandy Hook Bay. If you are boating or fishing in these waters, you are advised to thoroughly wash, clean and disinfect any gear immediately.

In addition, the DEP is conducting tests of waters along the state’s entire Atlantic coastline.

We encourage all anglers, crabbers and boaters to visit the Hurricane Sandy webpage at http://www.nj.gov/dep/special/hurricane-sandy/ for updates on this advisory. In addition, please visit fishsmarteatsmartnj.org for current fish consumption advisories.

_http://www.nj.gov/dep/newsrel/2012/12_0135.htm

Have you tried the drink called a "Sandy" yet?
It's a watered down Manhattan!
duktatr
hunter

Postby FFT » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:42 pm

Go at dead low tide with it filling in. There's a few tricks in there you can learn from following the bass guys. I feel its over rated, but some do well back there.

Sent from my ADR910L using Tapatalk 2
FFT
hunter

Postby never-enough-guns » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:11 pm

nasty. I will stick to the ponds for a while.Thanks guys. Just trying to give my kid a place to go and learn.
never-enough-guns
hunter

Postby Duck Slayer424 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:45 am

Don't step out of your boat in that mud unless you wanna end up like Jimmy Hoffa
Duck Slayer424
hunter

Postby duktatr » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:43 am

I don't see anything about an update to the advisory. Does anyone know if it's back to normal polluted as opposed to untreated sewage polluted?
duktatr
hunter

Postby ithaca10 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:35 pm

I think it's going to take a yr or two to purge itself. I wouldn't eat anything from there at this point.
Proud Father of a United States Marine
ithaca10
hunter

Postby duk_hunter155 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:52 pm

I hunted there on Wed. Had a 8.8 foot tide! Thats alot of water going in and out everyday. Water looked very clear but I know that doesnt mean much. I would be interested in knowing what the readings are now at laurel hill wma. I would bet they are no different now than before. But dont have to worry about eating anything out of there I didnt see a duck!
duk_hunter155
hunter

Postby kburke » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:01 am

I believe the treatment plant in Newark (something like the 5th biggest in the country) is still off line or not fully operational so there's still untreated sewage going in.
kburke
hunter

Postby duk_hunter155 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:41 pm

I hunted there on Saturday. I definitely hope No One hunts there repeat No One hunts there for at least a year or two.! If anyone tells you the place is loaded with ducks don't believe them. Instead head out to Round Valley or the Raritan Bay but forget about the Sawmill!!!
duk_hunter155
hunter

sawmill

Postby dgram36 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:53 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmm....interesting
dgram36
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting