Coastal South Jersey

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Coastal South Jersey

Postby Hip » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:54 pm

Headed out in the Kayak this Sturday for a few hours. Had some Brandt fly into my set and shot two. It was sunny and warm so I pulled out but before I left I paddled right into a flock of Brandt. I could have shot them EASILY from the Kayak. Can you jump shoot from a kayak?? They do not say anything about paddling.....just motor and sail.
Attachments
duck3.jpg
Hip
hunter

Re: Coastal South Jersey

Postby ithaca10 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:28 am

Yes you can.
Proud Father of a United States Marine
ithaca10
hunter

Postby canderso » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:35 pm

Agreed with Ithaca. As long as you are being powered by a push pole, paddle or oar, you can jump shoot while moving.
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Postby Hip » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:33 pm

canderso wrote:Agreed with Ithaca. As long as you are being powered by a push pole, paddle or oar, you can jump shoot while moving.

Thanks guys...almost feel guilty doing it....Brandt have got to be the dumbest bird out there.....
Hip
hunter

Postby ithaca10 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:14 pm

Don't feel guilty sculling is a lost art very few left in nj. My son still does it . Can't get the pics up to show you but ou can get up close and personal.
ithaca10
hunter

Postby Hip » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:04 pm

Thanks....I just painted my kayak with a base of Krylon Fusion and camo will be sprayed on tomorrow,,,,,
Hip
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:59 am

Jump shooting brant that are flocked is an easy way to shoot over the limit. Make sure you pick out single birds or else you will end up with may more than your 2 bird limit.

Hip wrote:Thanks guys...almost feel guilty doing it....Brandt have got to be the dumbest bird out there.....

Try to give them a little more credit. They fly from the top of the world to come down here. They are a very gregarious species and do not get the pressure that ducks do as they migrate south. Some of the birds you are shooting at have never been shot at before....similar to juvenile resident geese. Not dumb but very flock oriented and niave. I am not trying to attack you but calling birds you are trying to kill dumb is a lack of respect in my eyes. When I first started hunting I thought they were dumb, but the more time I spent in the field hunting created a much deeper respect for the birds I chase.

Personally, I would stick to decoying them. They decoy beautifully and are a wonderful bird to hunt when you set up for them. Saturday, we had some groups decoy so nice, unfortunately it was every time I wasn't near the camera to take some pictures!

If you do want a true sculling experience some guys on here might be able to help. A true scull boat is much different than a kayak.
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby Hip » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:55 pm

I shot them over decoys after I called them in with my mouth....cant explain the sound but just kind of a pintailish/brandt sound by jiggiling the the thing in my throat. Anyway...I respect everything I shoot so I will say they are naive after reading your post. I have shot brandt while others didnt even fly off.....just sat on the water. Usually a gunshot makes anything fly away but I guess if they never heard a thunderous blast they may hang around and see whats up...LOL. I love hunting decoys but wont hesitate to go jump ducks as well.
Hip
hunter

Postby Deuce N Ducks » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:11 pm

jerseydutch wrote:Jump shooting brant that are flocked is an easy way to shoot over the limit. Make sure you pick out single birds or else you will end up with may more than your 2 bird limit.

Hip wrote:Thanks guys...almost feel guilty doing it....Brandt have got to be the dumbest bird out there.....

Try to give them a little more credit. They fly from the top of the world to come down here. They are a very gregarious species and do not get the pressure that ducks do as they migrate south. Some of the birds you are shooting at have never been shot at before....similar to juvenile resident geese. Not dumb but very flock oriented and niave. I am not trying to attack you but calling birds you are trying to kill dumb is a lack of respect in my eyes. When I first started hunting I thought they were dumb, but the more time I spent in the field hunting created a much deeper respect for the birds I chase.

Personally, I would stick to decoying them. They decoy beautifully and are a wonderful bird to hunt when you set up for them. Saturday, we had some groups decoy so nice, unfortunately it was every time I wasn't near the camera to take some pictures!

If you do want a true sculling experience some guys on here might be able to help. A true scull boat is much different than a kayak.

well stated!
Deuce N Ducks
hunter

Postby cedar creek sam » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:02 pm

JerseyDutch has an admirable attitude; the spirit of a hunter, one I'd hunt with.

Brant are gregarious and curious, which explains some of their behavior. We've had them come take a look at our scoter decoys a mile or two out to sea as well. They weren't decoying, they were curious about the flock they saw.
CC SAM

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
cedar creek sam
hunter

Postby Hip » Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:59 pm

I liked his post. I have the greatest respect for every living thing.
Hip
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:59 pm

Thanks fellas. No worries Hip. Keep after 'em.

ccsam there's a spot in the boat for you if want! I was up in coastal ocean and monmouth counties on friday for work. I have never seen destruction like that in my life. It was very humbling. The news showed some pretty bad stuff, but it hits home when you see it in person. I hope you and all others that got banged up by the storm get things straightened out quickly and hopefully can chase some ducks this season.
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby cedar creek sam » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:08 pm

Thanks, may take you up on that offer! Back to cleaning up the debris tomorrow and Tuesday, hoping the crane shows up to move the boats (not mine) in the driveway so we can see what violence was done to the Whaler; my little sailboat has what I hope is mostly cosmetic damage, split rub rails, scuffs, but those Cape Cod Cats are tough little boats! Trailer is totaled per the insurance guy.

Luckily the scoter deocys were in my buddy's boat ready to go to Maine, but the Old Squaw decoys seem to be less numerous than expected. Ironically my Stealth 1200 filled with decoys just floated up on the 4.5 feet of water and down, didn't spill a decoy. Can't say the same for the cans of other deeks....
CC SAM

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
cedar creek sam
hunter

Postby ithaca10 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:10 pm

Hip

Ron Bankes one man scull boat.

Why i like Brant.
ithaca10
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting