Great Bay WMA

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Great Bay WMA

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:01 pm

Anyone know if the road is open? hope to go down with my sons to hunt the area, now that I have cleaned up my own neck of the woods from sandy.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Re: Great Bay WMA

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:04 am

The road is open. I hunted there last Monday. The marinas are a mess though. I didn't need a ramp since I was using my canoe but I did see a few guys launching from the old ramp where Fist Bridge Marina used to be.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:07 pm

Thanks, a canoe on those creeks? You got guts, I would afraid with that current ending up in A/C.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:59 am

jerseywaterfowler wrote:Thanks, a canoe on those creeks? You got guts, I would afraid with that current ending up in A/C.

Nah, I've been paddling those waters with both canoe and kayak for almost 30 years and have never been close to being washed away. A good workout against a strong tide a few times perhaps but unless you are a novice with poor paddling technique it is fairly safe. I have both a sneakbox and an 18' center console but I find myself paddling more often than using one of my power boats these days. I normally hunt the ponds and more sheltered waters of the thorofares but somethimes hunt the bayshore as well. As long as you hunt the leeward side of the land and watch the wind forecasts it can be safe and fun. But I also much prefer hunting black ducks over divers or brant so I go out with a minimal amount of decoys and gear. I stopped buying all the shiny stuff they dangled in front of me years ago and find more fun and relaxation in being a minimalist. :smile:
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:40 am

A sit in Yak, would be a good way to hunt a few of the smaller thorofares. I put in my canoe in the lower Navisink when wind is below 15 mph. Nice to be able to snuggle the canoe up into a sedge bank, put out a few decoys and see what happens.

I love black duck hunting in GBWMA and for me its a great hunt to call in 1 black into a pot hole and then fish for stripers with the fly rod on one of the big thorofares. When January comes and it gets cold, I have found the ice helps finding some sedge banks I can walk out to and on occasion hunt divers/puddles. Its a great place to hunt. Take care, thank you.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby Hip » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:06 am

I also use a kayak in coastal waters for fishing, clamming, and hunting. I have a one man canoe for pond hopping. The minamalist approach is rewarding and makes for relaxing day with less prep and clean up. Just camo'd up my kayak since I have a new one I fish out of as well.
Attachments
duck3.jpg
duckyak.jpg
Hip
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:49 pm

Is the sit ontop more stable then the sit inside type?

As for the hunting, went with my two older boys to GBWMA on Friday. Not much in the way of action. Not all that many black ducks around. Was still a funny day, as my older boy got bored and went wandering looking to jump shoot. When he came back to where we were sitting, He stated he kicked up one but the gun did not work. I figured he left the safety on and told him to go through gun clearing/reload. He did and then I told him to point "downrange" and see if it worked. He did and the gun worked also. He self figured out he left safety on. Funny how the firearms lessons actually took hold in his teenage brain, I never am to sure if teenagers pay any attention to their dad. I am glad he did and he keeps the gun safe till he wants to pull trigger. His shot did get a flock of brant up and flying and they came right over our heads. He took his shots, missed all and the 3 of us laughed the rest of the afternoon. Fun day.
On a sad note:
Went onto LBI to take a look at my moms house, which I already knew survived fine as it is on pilings. Traffic getting off the island was worse then a summer sunday night so after a few blocks I turned around. From the little I saw there looks like there are unfortunately few homes that were not flooded. Damm shame.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting