A Double Double on Atlantic Brant.

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

A Double Double on Atlantic Brant.

Postby canderso » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:08 pm

The plan was to head out to a walk-in spot today pre-dawn and get a quick hunt in. Today was to be a day of helping. A good friend and mentor of mine has a house on LBI in NJ and suffered some damage from Hurricane Sandy. We had organized a small work party to meet at the local Home Depot with my utility trailer in tow to carry the supplies. The alarm rang at 3:45AM and I went to shake my 11 y.o. hunting buddy. He woke and looked at me with tired eyes. I asked if he was ready to go. I received a groggy look but no spark in his eye. Typically, he wakes and is up getting dressed before I can even say good morning. Today, he was shot. I gave him an easy out considering the work day before us. We each took another 2 1/2 hours of rest and altered the plans for a possible evening hunt.

We met my buddy at the local Home Depot at the appointed time and headed to his house. We managed to get all of the work done that was required and some extras. Then we were rewarded with a fantastic afternoon lunch of pot roast, potatoes and carrots. Nice warm food for the stomach. Perfect. After lunch we finished up some other chores, located all of the tools and packed the vehicles.

It was still a couple hours before sunset, so my son and I decided we would take a drive to inspect some of the ramps we regularly use during the season. While we were out, we were hoping to get in a little sneak and creep hunting. Something that can be a lot of fun and teaches you to travel light.

Our first stop along the way showed the ramp to be in excellent condition. While we were driving along one of the channels, we noticed this little guy swimming about being very curious. This little Hooded Merganser gave us quite a show, but unfortunately was not in a legal shooting area. We were completely satisfied in observing and not taking.

After the display by the Merganser, we moved on to the next spot and found this nice little flock of Atlantic Brant.

This proved that we were in the right spot for a sneak and creep, we just need to figure out where we wanted to go in. We travelled along a little further and found the spot. We pulled over and got our things together. When I mention we travelled light, that is just what we did. We were still dressed in the work clothes from the day, which only consisted of one camoflage garment, my son's sweatshirt. Each armed with a shotgun, 6 shells, a trusty little white dog and SxS (a travelling decoy that I am involved with this year), we walked off in search of success.

We spotted a flock of Brant off in the distance and started our way out to the bank. As we crept along, we noticed three separate flocks floating along, eating as they went, but lazily floating with the current. Fortunately for us, that current was floating in our direction. We crept to a spot where we could be just behind an outside bend in the creek to provide some advantage for us. We hunkered down to wait, with the dog at heel and laying at my side. My son gently slid SxS into the water in front of us and got back to his position. I gave a word of caution to remain as still as possible. We sat with our guns at the ready.

The first two small flocks saw us as we were setting up but continued to drift in our direction. As they came to the bend, the swam out wide and headed across the channel. Still in shooting distance but a little farther than I would have liked for my son to have success. We kept our eye on the third flock. They were not wise to our location and floated right into position as I hoped for. The floated to within 20 yards of our position. I slowly turned to my son and reminded him he could take two and no more. I encouraged him to pick two birds now while they were on the water. Then softly said, we could each take our limit right here if we did this right. I confirmed he was ready and called the shot. We both stood and spooked the flock, they came up off the water and tried to scatter. We both took our shots. I knocked down two with two shells. My son took down two with three shots. Once they hit the water, we dispatched two that were wounded. Now there were four birds on the water that accounts for a two man limit of Atlantic Brant. That is a first for us, let alone my son taking a double!!

Now we had to attend to the getting the birds from the water. In comes the trusty little white dog. She is a wonderful little English Setter and does very well for me retrieving all sorts of game. With some great work from her, she made four beautiful retrieves after a little confusion as to how she was supposed to bring back four birds at one time.

All I can say, is God shined upon us today and we were very excited. There were some big smiles from both of us and a happy but very cold and wet little white dog.

SxS slinking along near the shore. A hand carved pair of Blue Wing Teal from Illinois.

The little white dog and the fruits of her hard work.

The best hunting buddy a guy can ask for, his very tired 11 y.o. son.

Hope you guys enjoyed the read. It was an awesome bit of fun. Light travelling and efficient, while still wearing "street" clothes.
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Re: A Double Double on Atlantic Brant.

Postby FFT » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:16 pm

Awesome write up. And nice pics. I took a little break from clean up and planned a sunup to sundown. We hit the fields in the morning and managed 4 pheasants. Shannon follwed the dog into the thickette and got her first cock! A difficult shot through the trees but she stoned the bird first shot. We packed up that jazz and headed for the bay. A five mile hike up bay added 3 more birds to our bag, and again shannon managed her first drake buffie and ding dong made a 100yd blind on a brant. All in all an excellent day.Image

Sent from my ADR910L using Tapatalk 2
FFT
hunter

Postby canderso » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:34 pm

Nice day. Glad to hear you got out. Every bit helps life feel a little more normal as all you guys are recovering from the storm. Tell Shannon, "Nice shooting."
canderso
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:24 pm

What a beautiful story and the memories your son will have of this hunt will last a lifetime! Infantry89 and I went out and had very little action but enjoyed a great morning together in the field once again. Glad all of you had fun. Can't wait to get together again.

Where's my Vacuum John??? :wink:

Pete
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:31 pm

FFT wrote:Shannon follwed the dog into the thickette and got her first cock!

:lol: You set yourself up for failure with that one!

Nice going everyone!
jerseydutch
hunter

Re: Re: A Double Double on Atlantic Brant.

Postby FFT » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:25 pm

pvn6616 wrote:What a beautiful story and the memories your son will have of this hunt will last a lifetime! Infantry89 and I went out and had very little action but enjoyed a great morning together in the field once again. Glad all of you had fun. Can't wait to get together again.

Where's my Vacuum John??? :wink:

Pete

Pete burnzs dropped it off at my house today. Where is your temp residence? I will drop it off along with the deer meat early this week.

And for the record, tell dutch I can take haley into the woods for her first cock as well!

Sent from my ADR910L using Tapatalk 2
FFT
hunter

Postby PAwingshooter » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:41 pm

Hahaha, that is great. I was out scouting today and ran into a few other hunters.
Attachments
IMG_1286.jpg
PAwingshooter
hunter

Postby duckaholic_16p » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:21 pm

Where in IL did the teal decoys come from?
duckaholic_16p
hunter

Postby canderso » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:08 pm

The teal pair were carved by Pat Gregory. Don't recall exactly where Pat lives, but he is a master carver for sure.
canderso
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting