How many NJ duck hunters hunt Sora rail?

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

How many NJ duck hunters hunt Sora rail?

Postby Joe Guide » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:12 am

The New Jersey coast saltmarshes used to be one of the top Soral rail hunting areas years ago, and poling a gunner after "Sora's and Clapper Rail " were a great tune up prior to duck season. Would apprecate hearing from some NJ wildfowlers who used to do a lot of rail hunting and poling the saltmarshes during flood tide.

While in Afghanistan, I met a fellow from the Army from New Jersey who told me how his grandfather took him on a memorable rail hunt when he was 12 years old and how exciting it was to him.

Apprecate hearing from some of you New Jersy rail hunters.

Happy Hoidays and Christmas gif'

Joe Guide

****please take a look at my " Joe Guide marsh hen videos on YOU TUBE***
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Re: How many NJ duck hunters hunt Sora rail?

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:08 pm

I hunted Clappers and Sora one time each quite a few years ago. Both were in different habitats and both were fun. The Clappers had to be worked hard for and were found individually. The Sora, once found, were numerous. I still have the photos we took that day with our kill and it looked like photos from the market hunting era. It seems I've never have the time to get out again early in the season when hunting for them is best. I've just spread myself too thin with other things.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby canderso » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:04 pm

I have never done it. Started reading about it a clue of years ago and would really love to go out with my son and give it a try. Found a really neat old rail boat on Craigslist last year. It took everything to not jump on it right away and give it a try.
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Postby Joe Guide » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:20 pm

You just get out there and find some time to hunt them again come next September and October. Watch your tide charts and only plan on going on your highest tide days during those two months.
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Postby duk_hunter155 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:24 am

Maybe I have hunted them but don't have a clue what they look like same with those Gallanule's. Every year they ask how many Gallinules did you shoot I just laugh.
duk_hunter155
hunter

Postby Duck Slayer424 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:43 pm

I went for them a few times they're sneaky bastards can't get within 40 yards or they dip into the grass.
Duck Slayer424
hunter

Postby Joe Guide » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:59 pm

Mauricetown, N.J. has some wonderful Sora rail bird hunting. There are a few professional guides there, perhaps the most famous family in the Camp family. I first heard about them in 1985 when I was stationed at Monmouth, and wandered down to South Jersey and enjoyed that lovely part of coastal Jersey.

Lot of nice people around there.

The Atlantic Flyway is still the greatest wildfowling region when it comes to "rail bird hunting" in America. "The Rail Bird Hunter's Bible" came out in May 2014, it's the first hunting book ever published on hunting rail birds in America.
Joe Guide
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting