Duck Hunting Forum banner

What has happened to NJ DHC hunters?

4K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  duk_hunter155 
#1 ·
I realize that I haven't been posting nearly as much as I used to in the past couple of seasons, but what about the rest of you? Where are the reports. Somebody is getting some action, but it seems Jersey boys forgot how to post. Does anyone out there have any reports? My report from Atl. Co. is that Brant and Buffies are plentiful, but big ducks are not flying around here. I am living on the beach and I don't see any flights of sea ducks from my 3rd story bedroom window each morning. I know their killing them up in Ocean County but I don't see anything flying down here. Usually the waters are black with flocks of Scoters and the long tails are all over the surf. It must be a mild winter up north as well.

Sandy has SCREWED with me since Oct 30th. I just found my gun cleaning equipment. My guns are rusty because I couldn't clean them properly, my rods were submerged and the brushes rusted. I am finally able to pull everything apart and clean them properly. Enough ranting. If anyone has anything to add please chime in.

Anyone have anything to report?

#2 ·
Pete,

It is nice to see that your mind is still 100% ducks. I find myself on here less than normal....busy between work and hunting.

Still pretty mild and waiting for some weather to bring fresh big ducks down in south zone. The other week I had a traveling decoy and we burned 'em up pretty good over the block. My full story is on the atlantic flyway rambler in the honey hole put I'll put my pictures up on here from that week too.

Rainy Tuesday

Foggy Friday

Shawn's Sat. Bday Pintail

This past Monday in PA with some PSU buddies

Here are some older ones that I think I put on another forum but not here...
Black friday with Haley

Coastal Opener

Pete, I have a bunch of time off the next few weeks. Let's chat so we can get out for some birds and get try to get jack some retrieves. :beer:

#10 ·
Pete, sorry about all your losses and damage the storm inflicted onto to you and family.

I have manage to get out a few times up here in the navisink and down near tukerton. A few birds but none of the blacks I like to set up for and I can only handle eating so many brant and nowhere nears as good as jerseysdutch has done. With the clam beds reopened in the lower navisink will have to pick my times/days to get out, but plan to finally get back on the Shrewsbury this week, after cleaning up some of the mess left behind by Sandy this past Sunday. Hope your dad made out OK, the town was hit hard by the storm.

#11 ·
Hey Pete, I agree with you. It just doesn't seem the same without all the duck reports. I don't get what the big deal is with everyone not wanting to give out any details on their hunts. There's 100's of thousands of acres of public land to hunt so there's room for everyone. Unless you are rich, you don't have the free time and gas money to drive all over land and sea to find ducks. If you're like me, you work two jobs and you're lucky to pull 1 or 2 free days to hunt/scout per month and for my money I'll spend that time behind my shotgun. If you've put a ton of time and money into scouting well I can't fault you for being tight-lipped, but if you just went hunting and had a good day (or a bad one) tell us about it. An open line of communication can only serve to better unify our hunting community. Just my two cents.

As for a report, me and my buddy got out yesterday for my first time since the early opener. We hunted Supawna Meadows and ended with 4 snows, 2 black ducks and one GWT. The fog was miserable all morning; could hardly see 40 yards at times. Once the fog started to move out around 11, the ducks started moving a bit. Unfortunately, we had to move on out of there too because of the tide leaving us. Saw very few teal up there, mostly blacks and snows. We did work one flock of pintails but they weren't cooperating. (I've still never gotten a fully plumed drake, you could say its my unicorn :mad: ) well guys, I hope everyone is on the mend after Sandy, let's keep the reports coming and keep the spirits high!

#12 ·
I finally made it out this week with the Dutch brothers. I hope this is the start of my regular weekly hunt season. This was my first trip since opening of first split SZ.

The warm weather has kept the teal around, although it hasn't pushed the mallards in yet. We blasted a three-man limit of greenwings on Tuesday morning. I was glad to be with a couple of younger guys as we had to do a predawn triathlon since the road to the ramp was Sandy'ed. Maybe Dutch will post the pics. They've been seriously tearing 'em up this year - as you can see.

Pete - I hope you get some chances to get out, and we can hunt together again this year.

#14 ·
papageno said:
We blasted a three-man limit of greenwings on Tuesday morning. I was glad to be with a couple of younger guys as we had to do a predawn triathlon since the road to the ramp was Sandy'ed. Maybe Dutch will post the pics. They've been seriously tearing 'em up this year - as you can see.
I also blasted some serious holes in the air! I am ready for some big fat slow ducks!

You're not kidding about the triathlon part either! Boy was that some work for those ducks!

#15 ·
I hunt the tuckahoe area often, went out this morning specifically for blacks and shot a 3 man limit LOL. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE! Just driving through the channels hundreds will get up all around. Its so hard for me to tell hen mallards from black ducks, since im fairly new only hunting 3 years i didn't want to shoot anything else that looks close to them because i get nervous it might be a black duck. it leaves me in tight predicament.

#16 ·
scouted mad horse creek and the delaware thursday night and saw a few blacks and heard alot of snows, hunted mad horse friday morning and shot a black duck and saw massive . flights of snows and canadas way up high over the river, that afternoon i hunted the delaware bay and its marsh's and it was holding a ton of black duck and teal but the wind kept them tight in mesquetto cuts and potholes. Saterday afternoon i hunted manasquan for geede in the afternoon and didnt see a thing. Going to hunt a noryh zone spot tomorrow morning or go scout the barnegat and see what ramps are open and were i can hunt, havent been put there since last year.

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am fairly new to this forum and I had been wondering if anyone from jersey was on it! I hunt the north zone primarily and have seen an increase in Canada's, snows and mallards in the last week or so. The big ducks are definitely well educated. Had several flocks circle our spread up to six times before committing. Was out for four hours on Saturday and saw about 100 mallards and 1000 geese. Here's a pic of our setup.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355846866.137190.jpg

Attachments

#23 ·
North Zone Report

Hunted NZ a few times this past week. Nothing extraordinary. This past Sat One goose one hen buffy one missed shot on easy pintail. Saw hundreds of ducks of high migrating flocks but had Georgia on their mind. Migration is definitely on. The new NZ season will definitely help this year as it would have closed tomorrow in previous years we still have a good shot at them. The Friday before we got two geeses and one drake gw. The pintails have not showed in big numbers this year as in past at this time of year. Got a report this morn more birds and a pintail flock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.