Shrewsbury River higher then normal

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Shrewsbury River higher then normal

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:27 pm

Have not been out hunting all that much so far this year. Kids activities keep getting longer/busier. Took the day off and had some time to hunt so went to my local river. Did meet another hunter who was getting ready to pack it in and it was an enjoyable talk about ducks/surfing/storm damage. As for the hunting few ducks seen and none shot at. Had two ducks? with red/dark brown heads, slim necks dark body and all divers as they both dived under and came back up 20 feet from where they doved. They swam into the dekes and for the life of me I could not figure out what type of duck they were. Not knowing I did not take a shot.

Also it seems to me that both the Navisink and Shrewsbury are much higher the usually. I wonder if so much sand from Sea Bright/Monmouth Beach was dumped into the river that it has raised the normal height of river. Seems to be a extra foot or so. Anyone else notice this? or is Barnaget Bay higher? Just wondering.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Re: Shrewsbury River higher then normal

Postby olclamman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:55 pm

another full moon tides are higher than normal
retired less money more wife
olclamman
hunter

Postby Basspond » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:13 pm

New moon tides. Plenty of fun stuff floating out of the sedge to keep you honest.
Basspond
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:46 pm

Fitz, it sounds like you had some Ruddies swim by. Other than the thin neck part of your description they fit the bill - they tend to swim more than fly, they are reddish, hence the "Ruddy", and they are diving and popping up 20 yds from where they dove. They have invaded my honey hole and drive Jack crazy. He can't understand why we don't shoot em... They are a smaller bird than the broadbills but have a larger bill. Their wings are tiny, their feet are huge , their body is the size of a softball. It takes 50 feet to lift off when they finally take flight and when they land they just "plop" into the water, not gracefully at all. They are quite humourous to watch and drive retrievers wild swimming around your decoys. That's probably what you saw. Let me know if this sounds close.

Pete
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby Deuce N Ducks » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:22 pm

Not many ruddies on the shrews and they dont have slim necks, they are often refered to as "bull neck teal" Plus even ruddy hens have a faint white cheek patch and a distictive upward tail feather angle.......Sounds like you saw two hen red breasted Mergs
Deuce N Ducks
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:32 pm

I thought of both birds and looked them up on my smart phone. None of the images I saw looked like the birds swimming/diving. Of the two the hen mergies were closer but the head did not have that tuff of hair and the body was very plain brown, could be the tuff was matted down by the water. I would guess that is the bird. Having eaten one a few years ago, im glad I did not bother, worse thing I ever had.
I knew the moon was new, and expected higher tide, but it just seems the river is generally higher. A few more months of watching will tell.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting