Tried Sea Duck Hunting yesterday...

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Tried Sea Duck Hunting yesterday...

Postby TheWanderer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:39 am

Ducks 1, Me 0

Launched out of Fortescue for the first time. Waited til it was light out to go out but it was still real soupy with the fog.

After riding around for a bit I did find some scoters in the area and did also see some squaws on the way back. Got 2 decent shots at birds but was way behind them. Some birds around but not like 2 weeks ago when I went fishing out of Cape May. There were Scoters everywhere that day. I have a couple doz bluebill decoys that I laid out, but will have to paint up some scoters.

Most of my day was spent figuring out this open water long line hunting thing. I know I need more weights on my decoys for sure. I set up (at least I thought I did) then went upwind with the boat and next thing I knew the decoys were drifting off slowly bouncing the anchors as they went. First few times will be a learning experience I'm sure. Fun regardless. I just have to wait for calm days on the bay with my boat.

Is it just me or do scoters seem to prefer deeper water than squaws? I saw most of them further out and the squaws in the shallower water as I rode back to the ramp.

Anyone have a preferred sea duck choke and load?

Also I bought some 6 mil plastic sheeting a little while ago and put it on the sides of the boat blind to do the visqueen thing and have it look like water to the birds. Anyone have this work for them or should I just leave the boat blind in a low position and create a smaller profile?

Looking forward to getting out again if the weather is right. Maybe between Christmas and New Years.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted
TheWanderer
hunter

Re: Tried Sea Duck Hunting yesterday...

Postby FowlHooked » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:00 pm

Try further down some. I know they r usualy loaded up between bug lt and bananna peel. Long lines u wanna get some good size weights and use the clips. Some people use old window weights can use flat liftin weights or order from place like doctrail
Fowl Hooked Waterfowling on Facebook
http://Www.fowlhooked.org
FowlHooked
hunter

Postby TheWanderer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:25 pm

Thanks for saying further down, but I have no idea what/where bug it or banana peel are.

This was only the 2nd time I was ever on the bay, not originally from NJ and so far just hunted some coastal back bays and closer to home.

I do have long lines but have getting larger weights on my to do list. What size works best without going overkill for most?

The long lines are from Doctari. Nice, but with the weights too light yesterday they got tangled up.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted
TheWanderer
hunter

Postby FowlHooked » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:58 pm

For out there cpl pounds mayb. Run out of Pt Norris n go prob 5-6 mi west to sw
Fowl Hooked Waterfowling on Facebook
http://Www.fowlhooked.org
FowlHooked
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting