Hunt with PVN

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Hunt with PVN

Postby jerseydutch » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:03 am

This past week I was able to finally take Pete out for a hunt....a few years in the making. We really wanted to put him on a good shoot, especially after all that has happened to him with the hurricane. Wednesday's weather didn't seem too promising for the puddle duck hunt we originally planned so we flip flopped plans and went with our goose hole. I was worried about the mild temps but the wind seemed promising.

Well the stars aligned and the goose gods blessed us. Before 930am we had our 5man limit of honkers over the water, plus one bonus green-wing! I live for ducks, but it doesn't get much better than flocks of geese finishing at 15-20 yards on a water set. To top off the day three of the birds were banded. Turns out they all were banded in Ontario which surprised me.

Friday we went for the big ducks that we originally planned to chase Wed. The river was ripping with the incoming tide and SE winds causing coastal flooding. I thought we would have some nice activity but was disappointed with the ducks. Very little activity, and what seemed like no fresh birds. It was nice seeing flocks of mallards and pintails but it's better to have them in the hole! Friday yielded us a big fat goose egg. I can't complain though because this has been our best season so far thanks to some stellar teal shoots, plus Pete cooked up a Fine breakfast for us! This weather we are having now should bring some fresh birds. I am ready for some good Mallard shoots!

Here's some shots...
Do you see what I see

Lyla bringing in Haley's blinged out goose

Lyla with Pete's teal

Pete's pup Jack is always on the lookout for birds....man that dog has some drive!

And he drools for geese!

Incoming!

A happy crew...done in time for breakfast!

Friday was the polar opposite in terms of excitement and action....Lyla resorted to pretending she was a beaver

I lost some quality on my shots....I switched image hosting sites and am still figuring out photo bucket :huh:
jerseydutch
hunter

Re: Hunt with PVN

Postby never-enough-guns » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:13 am

Great pics! Those Chessies are always gnawing on something!
never-enough-guns
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:17 pm

Wow, that looks like it was a great hunt! That shot with the GWT is my favorite. Good job :clapping:
dgram36
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:33 am

Great times, Great Pics, Great Friends, Great Post!!! :clapping:

Thanks for the good times.

Pete
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby canderso » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:05 am

Great photos and write up of the hunt. I haven't been spending much time in the Coastal zone this year. I need to get over there in January. Been trying a few new spots in the South zone. Much shorter travel time for me and the boy. 5am wake up is much better than 3:45am.

Planning to give the South zone one more good hunt this week and head out to the coast for some diver hunting.

Nice pics of the pups too. Both of them look like good dogs. Hoping to add a female Chessie to my team. Will find out if I get one the first week of January.
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Postby DrakeH2oFowl » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:19 pm

Way to get some bling and put them on some birds. :bow:

PS, you weren't kidding about the never ending mud! I'm beat from trekkin around out there all for a greenhead and to watch a bunch of other cagey critters skirt around all day. Merry xmas man.
DrakeH2oFowl
hunter

Postby FFT » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:09 pm

Great to hear everyone had fun. Did you go to the more reese for lunch?

Sent from my ADR910L using Tapatalk 2
FFT
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:58 am

never-enough-guns wrote:Great pics! Those Chessies are always gnawing on something!

There is nothing that her teeth can't destroy....Should have saw her opening christmas gifts this morning!

FFT wrote:Did you go to the more reese for lunch?

No I am moving up in the world. Coleman 2 burner camp stove and some hot food in the blind this season! No wait that was just for breakfast...we did go to a diner for lunch :biggrin:.....not the mo reese though.

Canderso I get up at 345 or 4 just about everwhere we hunt! 5am would be sleeping in! I hope this weather brings down some green heads....if not we will be out coastal gunning for the rest of the season unless we find some nice pockets of puddle ducks here and there. Good luck with the Chessie. My brothers was the alpha biotch of the litter...bigger than all the males. Contrary to popular belief, they are great family dogs. Lyla loves her family and will sit by the window everyday when she knows each of us will be home soon from work. And she makes some crazy noises and happy growls!

Merry christmas and happy holidays everyone!
jerseydutch
hunter

Hunt with PVN

Postby Coleman24 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:06 pm

Nice pics Dan! Definitely looks like a great hunt, and hopefully the goose gods are gracious to us up here when you and Haley get up here.
Coleman24
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting