R.I.P. Finnegan

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

R.I.P. Finnegan

Postby FowlHooked » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:44 am

Well I started off this week by taking my 9 almost 10 year old lab on a Duck hunt bein it was almost 60 deg and a fairly easy spot. He had been slowing down in the hips and having a new dog 1 yr old ready to go and needing work there had been no sense to wear him out more. This day my wife said why dont you take Fin and i said ahh F it why not. Well we ended up having a good morn killin 5 birds 3 bein big ducks and he was happy as could be to go and did great.
I started a post i never finished thurs about dogs gettin old and switching to the new dog and seein the old boy watch us get ready to go with the thought he was goin only to pull out driveway with him standing there watching us leave. I never finished cause couldnt get the pict thing to work.
Friday morn we were gonna hunt but with the crazy wind i bagged the trip at 330 only to be woke back up at 5 by Fin on front porch lettin out awful howling noise and on floor just shakin n convulsing.
Fin went into seizures for the 1st time i ever saw and never came out of it. He was 1 month shy of 10. U know getting these dogs that this day would come some time and unfortunately friday was Fins day.
Fin was a great dog and Great hunting buddy to alot of people. He shared many good and bad trips with alot of people. Its a sad thing but there are so many great memories alot of us will have of him.
Having a dog that you can take hunting and share so many hours and memories on a boat,in a blind or where ever and seein them absotulely love retrieving that bird whether in little ditch on the marsh, in the field or swimmin thru icey waters with the tide crankin is truely awesome. To me that is half of what i love about duck hunting.
He was truely a loyal great buddy,family dog, and an awesome retriever. Enjoy them
FOWL HOOKED CREW.JPG
Jan 17 Ice Ltle egg.jpg
100_0771.JPG
dec 16 2012.jpg
ResizedImage_1353933232658.jpg
Fowl Hooked Waterfowling on Facebook
http://Www.fowlhooked.org
FowlHooked
hunter

Re: R.I.P. Finnegan

Postby FFT » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:56 am

RIP, very sad.
FFT
hunter

Postby dirtyj » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:39 am

So sorry
dirtyj
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:49 am

Very sorry for your loss. As I get older I'm more tempted on a given morning to hit the alarm and go back to sleep if I was going out alone. But the enthusiasm of my dogs keep me at it more than any other factor. The only bad thing about dogs is that the longer you live, the more friends you've put in the ground. It's always heartbreaking.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:21 pm

Sorry for your loss, I hope your one year old dog turns out to be just as good of a companion. I know they can't be replaced, but at least you can have the satisfaction of having another great duck dog.
dgram36
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:39 pm

Sorry for your loss Fowlhooked.
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby TheWanderer » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:47 pm

Always heartbreaking to hear about losing a dog thats been such a big part of someone's family.

Certainly bittersweet at this point, but in a little time when the wounds have healed over, and you think back to those days in the field with Finnegan you'll know how much more rich they were because he was in the blind or boat with you to do what he was born, raised, and trained to do.

From my experiences so far there are few things more pure than seeing the drive of a retriever and letting him go to work in the field.
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted
TheWanderer
hunter

Postby papageno » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:21 pm

Looks like a real nice dog... I know how you feel.
papageno
hunter

Postby ngiglio » Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:10 am

I'm very sorry for your loss Fowlhooked!
ngiglio
hunter

Postby ryoung » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:41 am

i am sorry for your loss it never gets any easier no matter how many times you have to do it
ryoung
Newb

Postby pvn6616 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:30 am

I too am saddened by your loss. Finnegan sounded like a wonderful dog and I'm sure he will be sorely missed.
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby goldrush2 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:01 am

Sorry for loss they say the only bad thing about a dog is that they dont live long enough sounds like he a good life.
goldrush2
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting