Puddle ducks or Divers?

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Puddle ducks or Divers?

Postby fatalapproach » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:55 am

Hey guys. I am thinking about coming down to hunt the bay. Was wondering what you all thought I have better chance with. I am bringing some newbies and just want them to get some action. I got a good diver spot and a good puddle duck spot. Problem is they are miles away from each other. So I have to commit to one type of hunting. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and good luck to all of you for the rest of the season. Stay safe.
fatalapproach
hunter

Re: Puddle ducks or Divers?

Postby Quackerbarrel » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:22 am

Divers over puddlers anyday!
That's my theory
Quackerbarrel
hunter

Postby ithaca10 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:42 am

I'm a north zone guy and hunt mostly puddlers but if i hunt the bay definitely divers and brant.
Proud Father of a United States Marine
ithaca10
hunter

Postby papageno » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:04 pm

Shoot the puddlers at dawn and then head out for the divers as they more often fly all through the morning - brant fly all day long.
papageno
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:17 pm

Do you have any idea of your guests' desires? Even when I was new to the sport, I got more satisfaction taking my one allowed black duck than a limit of divers. I feel even more so today. My biggest reward is just being out there. But everyone is different.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby fatalapproach » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:35 pm

My buddies don't care what type of ducks they shoot. My question is what type of ducks have you seen more of. I have a good tried and true diver spot but the problem is its not a good puddle duck spot. And the place I have a great puddle duck spot there are no divers around. So I am not sure which spot to try. I am sure there are buffies and brant around. Might just try that. Would like to get some widgeon or pintails in their sights. Not sure if they are around yet.
fatalapproach
hunter

Postby papageno » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:21 pm

Brant and buffies are great for beginners and the action is generally good all morning - they get plenty of tries. Also, they can see their shots hit the water while buffie shooting and brant are easy to hit. It is great way to learn lead.
papageno
hunter

Puddle ducks or Divers?

Postby dgram36 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:25 pm

You should definitely shoot divers, more puddle ducks for me;)
dgram36
hunter

Postby Quackerbarrel » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:56 pm

What spot has geese? I would narrow it down that way so your buddies can do some calling and see some geese work also. If your buddies are from out of state I would say hunt divers so they can have a shot at brant and most likely there will be black ducks around also, those two species seem to be the staple New Jersey waterdowl, they will be a nice species for an out of state guy to get.
Quackerbarrel
hunter

Postby fatalapproach » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:04 pm

Thanks guys for all your input. We are heading out tomorrow morning. I think we are gonna try puddle ducks cause I had been hearing the green wing teal are still around. Need to get a nice drake on my wall. So we are gonna give it a try. Then maybe set up for divers at a new spot and hopefully there will be some brant around or a few buffleheads. I will let you all know how we did.
fatalapproach
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting