Changing hunting spots

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Changing hunting spots

Postby bayside » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:19 pm

As a newer hunter, was looking to see how often others change hunting spots. I hunt with a guy who has been doing this for years and has his spots and doesn't like new scenery. Kudos to him, these spots usually turn out birds. But after several hunts and more than enough brant and buffs, would like to try other areas, if only to see if other spots are not necessarily better, but rather offer different opportunities. So how often do you strike out for new territory?
bayside
hunter

Re: Changing hunting spots

Postby ithaca10 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:32 pm

Have four or five spots in North Zone and two in Coastal. And all are easy hunts. It's not how many but the enjoyment with friends and family.
Proud Father of a United States Marine
ithaca10
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:21 pm

Bayside, if you don't have the time to scout, changing locations is not a bad idea as it exposes you to new sites. BUT, nothing replaces scouting new areas, so with that being said, the best advice is to google, drive, boat, etc... scout anyway you can before changing to a new spot. An afternoon familiarizing yourself with the waters that you plan to hunt rather than actual hunting is time well spent.
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby olclamman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:36 pm

what pnv said what happened to doing our scouting and checking out other areas not relying on internet info
my 2 cents
retired less money more wife
olclamman
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:05 am

I certainly have my favorite spots that are old standbys, but I'm always scouting for new ones. Scouting is a big part of the enjoyment for me, especially on Sundsays when I can't hunt.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby bayside » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:33 pm

Pete, thanks for reply. Scouting is difficult with my schedule at least with respect to coastal. Now I'm down the coast from you and while I scout from the roads after hunting it is difficult to see some of the back sounds or creeks if we didn't boat.
My main question was I guess to see if guys are locked in to spots or like to try new opportunities. My feeling is with limited days to hunt I'd like to "recon by fire" more (at least more than my regular hunt partner does) and hit new spots and as I build experience narrow down productive areas. Already found different areas are affected by tide/wind/season etc. so I'm building that database. Finding spots is not hard with technology, rather getting time to hunt them all seems to be the challenge! And yes, even with scouting some spots have turned up goose eggs, but I take that as a learning experience.

OCclamman: your two cents not worth much. My original post was clear in as much I was curious how often people seek new spots or lock in(as does my hunt partner) to "proven" spots. Never did I troll for or even insinuate as to where to find birds. Perhaps you should read more carefully before condescending.
bayside
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:44 pm

Bayside, you already know the answer it seems. By all means try new spots and keep all info in a journal so you can go back and say, hey, on such and such a tide with such and such a wind this spot might work... that's how you find new productive spots. Scout whenever you can and hunt while scouting, and after many years you might have a spot or two if the rest of the world doesn't find your spots. Good luck!
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby papageno » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:13 am

If you're hunting cz brant and divers, it's probably okay to shoot the same basic spot every time. For puddlers, you need to find several spots in a variety of habitats. Different species use different kinds of spots at different periods - mostly based on ice and tide and migration. It's always worth exploring around during the afternoon. Drive and paddle, and where you see or flush birds - hunt the next time.
papageno
hunter

Postby olclamman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:58 pm

bay side
heres my 2cents again by all means look for new spots to gun - stayin in one or two spots can get old and educate tbe waterfowl - after you are done gunin go check other areas while you are still out - watch where birds
workin - there is no need to take time off work to scout - and in todays economy my 2 cents is not worth much
BUT my experinence is priceless
retired less money more wife
olclamman
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting