Hard to find

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Hard to find

Postby papageno » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:01 pm

I thought there would be swarms of mallards in my SZ spots this past week. The northern freeze would have moved them down and the local ice would concentrate them where I wanted them... no such luck.

Brother-of-Dutch, Paul, scouted and warned me that they were few and far between, and heavily hunted in the better spots. I did find one concentration, but the morning ice was just enough to move them to the other side of the marsh - so I abandoned that plan.

Fortunately, the tides were in our favor - high at dusk. This meant that the birds would be moving into the marshes as they flooded around noon. We would shoot some ponds that a few birds were using at dawn and then head out onto the river after breakfast. It worked and we shot well, scoring on every opportunity.

Day one, we got 4 mallards at dawn and 4 more and a blackie on the river. Day two, we got a pair of blackies at dawn and a pair of mallards on another river.

We had to work hard, but it paid off with some nice shoots.
0103031534.jpg
day one with Lila
0103031534.jpg (73.07 KiB) Viewed 334 times
papageno
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting