Navisink River

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Navisink River

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:00 pm

I ll keep it brief, saw little beyond brant, and a buffie. shot nuthing, shoulda went clamming. Have week off, so plan on bouncing around local and heading south Thursday to B. Bay. Need some colder weather/snow. Inland ponds have some puddles and geese.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Re: Navisink River

Postby pvn6616 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:25 pm

Fitz,
How many years is it - 2,3,4? Get down here w/ your son and lets shoot some blacks and brant. I'm sure you saw Chick's and my adventures from last weekend. I'm going away to Fla. but I invite you for the last Saturday of coastal. PM me

Pete
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:27 pm

p.s. - we can go clamming too
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby Quackerbarrel » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:23 pm

When did you hunt the river? Went today and was ok
Quackerbarrel
hunter

Postby Basspond » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:58 am

Rivers haven't been good for a decade, clamming doesn't help. You'd be wise to travel more.
Basspond
hunter

Postby NJFowler » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:21 am

The rivers haven't been good for a few years now (5-7) but this year they have been HORRIBLE. I think it's from Sandy and all the trafic on the rivers recovering boats etc. There has been almost no life on those rivers at all this year haven't even seen brant and that is crazy...
NJFowler
hunter

Postby Basspond » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:50 am

NJFowler wrote:The rivers haven't been good for a few years now (5-7) but this year they have been HORRIBLE. I think it's from Sandy and all the trafic on the rivers recovering boats etc. There has been almost no life on those rivers at all this year haven't even seen brant and that is crazy...

And the few brant around have been feeding on lawns, what does that tell you? No food. As far as puddlers you might luck out and catch a migration day, but those birds will move out in a day or two since there's nothing to eat and nowhere to rest/feed when you have 20 guys on the flats at low tide. Just one local's opinion :wink:
Basspond
hunter

Postby Quackerbarrel » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:17 pm

Basspond wrote:Rivers haven't been good for a decade, clamming doesn't help. You'd be wise to travel more.

I travel all of NJ to hunt, last month I stayed in Delaware to hunt the jersey side of the river and some tidal marshes by the bridge, i stay over in cape may, stay over in blairstown ect. I was just saying I had a good day, not saying I swear the river is an amazing spot at all.
Quackerbarrel
hunter

Postby Basspond » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:40 pm

Quackerbarrel wrote:
Basspond wrote:Rivers haven't been good for a decade, clamming doesn't help. You'd be wise to travel more.

I travel all of NJ to hunt, last month I stayed in Delaware to hunt the jersey side of the river and some tidal marshes by the bridge, i stay over in cape may, stay over in blairstown ect. I was just saying I had a good day, not saying I swear the river is an amazing spot at all.

Oh I wasn't knocking you at all. What kind of boat do you run, we probably know each other.
Basspond
hunter

Postby Quackerbarrel » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:18 pm

I know you weren't, just saying the river isn't anything worth writing home about that's all, didn't mean to come off defensive at all.
I am actually hunting outta a good friend of mines 16 Carolina Skiff with a Avery blind, he has been helping me be mobile this year and hunt new places while I finish my boat.
Quackerbarrel
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:15 am

Well my week off was cut short as I was called into work for a triple shift, so I am late in responding.
Yea no doubt the two rivers are not what they once were, even in my limited years of experience. What balances that is the fact I can be hunting in 10 minutes from walking out my back door, and if I only have an hour or two to hunt, then I rather not waste time/gas driving. I can also get my two older sons to come along as being local fits in the very busy life of teenagers. I also do not have a boat beyond a canoe so I am limited in where/when I can hunt. I also dont care so much for the taste of brant or buffies so I usually dont bother anymore to shot them, there were plenty of them around. There are puddle ducks around, but with no ice on the inland ponds most of them are just hanging around the little ponds enjoying life. Some ice would get them looking out to the rivers, but the weather is the weather.
I have hunted from the Delaware water gap, flatbrook river, stokes state forrest, down to the mullica/basto rivers in the pines. I enjoy them all but have not found any of these places any worse or better then local. Different yes, some times good and sometimes nuthing with the ducks. When I have the time I love to hit Barnegat bay from Manahawkin down to Tuckerton. It took me years of hunting/scouting to find places where I can hump in with my sled of decoys/waders and have a reasonable chance to have ducks come into the decoys. For me a single black duck shot over decoys makes my day and when that happens I am very grateful, anything after that is a bonus. Anyway thank you. Heading south tomorrow.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby Deuce N Ducks » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:46 pm

I nicked named the shrewsbury the SNOOOZEbury this year......If you guys look you'll notice something very obvious missing from both rivers.....besides birds
Deuce N Ducks
hunter

Postby NJFowler » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:40 am

Any type of vegetation in the water deuce or am i missing something else?
NJFowler
hunter

Postby Basspond » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:57 am

No sea weed/cabbage/lettuce/food
Basspond
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:20 am

Had plans to head south yesterday but was tethered to home so I went local to SNOOZbury. Should have been a banner day for me, with a black that decoyed in, (missed), a brant that came in (killed), and two brodies that decoyed in (missed). I know I shot over the black on first shot and did not bother with follow ups for fear of just a wounded duck and not a dead one, with no boat it needed to be killed in decoys or I would not be able to retrieve with the high tide. How I missed the brodies I till can't figure out, perfect feet down, wings out, shot under and missed all three shots. Enough megies/buffies/other brant but one brant is enough to eat and mergies/buffies I just can't eat. Packed it in at noon when work called. Heard plenty of shooting from the Navisink. Going south Saturday with my sons, as they are all geared up to go. With cold finally arriving next week season could end decent. Need to do some scouting/research in the spring along bayshore area's where I fly fish for Stripers, always see ducks but have no idea on who who owns the land and what the firearm discharge laws might be.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby Deuce N Ducks » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:46 pm

No sea weed/cabbage/lettuce/food

BINGO!
Deuce N Ducks
hunter

Postby Quackerbarrel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:13 pm

Jerseywaterfowler, are you hunting from land next season? Because if you have a boat as long as your below the high tide mark and in a boat it doesn't matter what the discharge law is.
Quackerbarrel
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:26 am

Q/B, yea it will be a land operation. One spring I put the canoe in Belford to go bluefishing. Was not all that thrilled bobbing around the bay in a canoe so wont do that again. There are some creeks/marshes up that way that might be possible to hunt in, again depends on who owns it. Some appears to be state land and some of it I dont have a clue as to might own it.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby Quackerbarrel » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:51 pm

The hard part trying to find out who owns it i heard was that you can't find owners on tax maps because they don't pay taxes on wetlands. Goodluck!
Quackerbarrel
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting