Barnaget Bay/Saturday Afternoon

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Barnaget Bay/Saturday Afternoon

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Went south to the big bay for a Saturday afternoon hunt with oldest son. We both enjoy the big wide open marsh, mud, smell and the open water. There is no mud like B/B mud, suck your waders off in a NY second.
As far as hunting went, saw very little, a few blacks that barely moved, not much on the open water. No shots no ducks. Enjoyable anyway.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Re: Barnaget Bay/Saturday Afternoon

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:11 am

I hear ya. I spent my first 25 years in the urban northern part of the state. The last 25 have been spent in "duck heaven" and I still appreciate the bay as if it's my first time. I enjoy a day I where don't fire a shot every bit as much as I do one I limit out on.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby FowlHooked » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:47 pm

Try some Mad Horse Creek mud on, i think it goes clear thru to center of earth! Prehistoric s##t that will suck u rt in :help:
Fowl Hooked Waterfowling on Facebook
http://Www.fowlhooked.org
FowlHooked
hunter

Postby Quackerbarrel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Watch out for the sunken wall to the right of the ramp at Mad Horse, boy is it a day ruiner!
Quackerbarrel
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:47 pm

Mad horse, I have not hunted that far south. Do you need a boat or can you walk/hump in? will a canoe work? I have put in my canoe in the Basto and Mullica and if Mad horse is similar its a possibility for next year. Pine barrons are sand, not mud and with all the back flooded areas can be good for puddles or even a woodie.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby Quackerbarrel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:54 pm

I would not hunt Mad Horse out of a canoe, it's deep and has a very rough tide.
Quackerbarrel
hunter

Postby papageno » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:30 pm

Pine barren and coastal marshes are a walk in the park compared with Del Bay marshes - it sticks to everything like glue. I have decoys that seem permanently encrusted in the stuff.
papageno
hunter

Postby Quackerbarrel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:47 pm

This was my first year hunting a few Delaware bay marshes and I was amazed at the depth and the nasty tides, they are a place that someone can get into some trouble, I kayak hunted the Barnegat a few times and I would not hesitate to do it again, the Delaware side of the state is another story though, as for the mud, it's pretty nasty and dries grey, it's weird.
Quackerbarrel
hunter

Postby ducknutz87 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:49 pm

Madhorse mud is like dielectric grease..... you get a little bit on you and then its everywhere. If anyone ever found a method to turn that mud into something, they would be a billionaire. There is nothing like Madhorse mud!!!
ducknutz87
hunter

Postby FowlHooked » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:34 am

Nothing like Mad Horse Mud!!! Sticks with u or on your stuff for a long time.Long legs n a strong ticker are a plus if u eanna move around outa boat not that u cant hunt out of boat as that is better but I would not try to walk much there, wont go far. There is a spot to canoe in from overby the woods part off the dirt road. Sect of madhorse goin to nuke off that rd. t is doable but the tide does move pretty good n can go up n dn 6 ft. Black ducks n teal. Plenty of marsh to hunt. Gotta hit Buds on way home for a sandwich! Thats a must
Fowl Hooked Waterfowling on Facebook
http://Www.fowlhooked.org
FowlHooked
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:11 pm

I laugh when people complain about the atlantic coast mud. Del bay mud is just down right nasty...but the teal like it! You could canoe some places more to the east along the del bay where the tide doesn't run as hard. Most places along the bay have a 5-6 foot tide difference though so I would feel more comfortable in a boat.
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby papageno » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:24 pm

I used to hunt the Delaware state side of the bay on occasion - Bombay Hook and some creeks. I recall it being fairly firm with 'normal' mud. The ancient currents must have deposited all the slimy stuff on the Jersey side.
papageno
hunter

Postby bayside » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:35 pm

Get someone with a mud motor and you can put a hurtin on the waterfowl on the low end of the tide. Of course you cant be in a hurry to get outta once the tide bottoms out (esp blowout tides) Hunt thru the ebb cycle let the rising water ease your path. Always be careful exiting your boat/canoe at creek edges, they will suck you right in. No vegetation or root matter to support you. The mud is generally 3-4 deep underlaid with sand, and every once in a while someone gets stuck and rescue has to come extricate them. Sure hate to have that happen with rising tide! :eek: While the tides can run hard, when paddling I find fighting the wind to be more of a chore. Choose your days and it can be a great experience, hardly ever as crowded as coastal.

PS: Dutch, saw your post at another site, I think your hunt partner is giving you a giant hint with all the "jewelry" she has been collecting!
bayside
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:55 pm

Took a look at where Mad Horse is and man that is south. Not likley to make that drive.
Delaware River mud is different, I camp at Stokes SF in Sussex county often, with my sons and sometimes the whole family (wife/daughters). Love the place, great camp site. When I go with my boys, we put the canoe in the Delaware to smallmouth fish. Man that mud is a nasty red/pink drys grey slimy smelly stuff. Cant ever get it off you. Major leage baseball uses the mud from NJ Delaware river as the mud to scuff up all baseballs, comes from a "secret" spot and only one company. Not bad to make money off free mud.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:33 pm

jerseywaterfowler wrote: Major leage baseball uses the mud from NJ Delaware river as the mud to scuff up all baseballs, comes from a "secret" spot and only one company. Not bad to make money off free mud.

That is a more silty tidal fresh water mud from the deptford/westville area I think.

The mud up river by stokes would probably be a heavier soil with more clay. I hate walking creeks in the Piedmont soil region. That clay bottom is slick!
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:19 pm

It is very much like walking on oil. Good for tossing "dirt" bombs.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby Quackerbarrel » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:23 pm

Jerseywaterfowler, if you ever make it out to Mad Horse one day, when you get off the turnpike at exit one it will put you on a main road (37 I think?) and before the town of Salem on the right is Salem Boat Exchange, it's worth checking out. I am in no way affiliated with them but I was glad to see a boat shop that catered towards duck hunters, they had decoys,calls, and shells, it was cool to check out.
Quackerbarrel
hunter

Postby Duck Slayer424 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:34 pm

Nothing worse than sawmill mud one second your standing on a bog the next your balls deep in nasty sludge quicksand mud that burns your skin from all the nasty pollution. I swear that's where Jimmy hoffas hidin. I'll take south Jersey mud anyday
Duck Slayer424
hunter

Postby ShooterNJ » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:56 am

FowlHooked wrote:Try some Mad Horse Creek mud on, i think it goes clear thru to center of earth! Prehistoric s##t that will suck u rt in :help:

I saw a guy go balls deep their.. Took the boat and a rope to get his ass out... :yes:
ShooterNJ
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting