Damned Dogs

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Damned Dogs

Postby pvn6616 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:22 pm

I have created a monster. This crazy dog of mine certainly has desire, but I cannot control it. I thought we were making headway this afternoon, as the brant were all over us, swimming around 10 feet away and Jack didn't break. I kept reinforcing "Steady" and he was...I even got lucky enough at the end of the day and had a pair of black ducks stool in and he made a nice retrieve. We picked up and when we got back to the ramp I let him out of the boat and up the ramp he goes, I'm heading to the truck and he usually follows but today he disappears. I see the water rippling and off he goes chasing some dock ducks. I call to no avail, when he persues ducks he seems to forget who feeds him!!! GD it, I had to go out and run him down in the boat...sometimes I want to shot him...lol

Not a bad way to reacclimate to the NJ weather after arriving back from sunny Fla yesterday! 86 degrees everyday and sunny, it sucked walking off that plane, but it was nice to be back in the bay with the gun and not the fishing rod!
Attachments
DSCN8358.JPG
DSCN8364.JPG
DSCN8369.JPG
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Re: Damned Dogs

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Nice dog, nice ducks, try living with 3 teenagers. At least someday kids grow up and leave, but they never listen. I am sure I was the sameway, sometimes you have to learn the hard way.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby canderso » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:10 pm

Pete- sorry for laughing just now. Great story. I understand your frustration, but somewhat glad to know that I am not alone.

My little girl decided that the water was too cold on our hunt this past Tuesday. She jumped out of the boat, made for the opposite shore of the creek for the retrieve, got the duck and decided to patiently wait at the water's edge until I came over in the boat to pick her up.
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Postby FowlHooked » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:15 pm

Ditto mine didnt wanna play in the mud n ice 2wks ago. Acted stupid. God she pissed me off. Then cpl days latwr same place with out ice she did fair. This past wknd down on big water she was fine? She is 14 month drathaar so i was startin to second guess my purchase in stead of the lab. I was told n read that they were just as good if not better. I jusy dont remember my lab actin that way. But he was young many moons ago so gotta keep tellin myself that i forget. Just frustrating but hey i wouldnt wanna do it :beer:
Fowl Hooked Waterfowling on Facebook
FowlHooked
hunter

Postby infantry86 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:40 am

Pete if you didn't have to chase Jack all over the bay how would you get your exercise?
Just lookin for the ducks...
infantry86
hunter

Postby FFT » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:04 am

I love that crazy little dog. In a way your lucky that he has such a high prey drive. Have you ever conditioned him for an e-collar, I think with a bit of expert advice you can get him on the recall command everytime. I had to chase the puppy down in the bay after he went on a cripple brant country mile.
FFT
hunter

Postby olclamman » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:32 am

pete
i believe you came to the wa wa training session once - i was very impressed with jack - BUT from what you said about
him not following you to the truck is your fault not jacks - you are not keeping up on his ob training go back over some basics
heel heel heel when you have the time take a run up some sunday i can help you this problem
retired less money more wife
olclamman
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:04 pm

I'm afraid it's true, it is I who is at fault here, and I am frustrated at myself for not staying on top of Jack. He is very comfortable around me and I let him get away with more than I should. I do need to work with him a lot more than I have been, but due to the circumstances it has taken the back burner.

Today I rescued two stranded hunters and all the while Jack stayed in the boat, a perfect little gentleman, but after we ran back and forth picking up all their gear we went after the decoys they had set out and as I approached the first string, he jumps out of the boat toward the decoys just as I was shifting the boat in to neutral and had turned my back. ***!!! That is unacceptable behavior. Now I will have to keep him on a short leash in the boat until I can correct that behavior. On the bright side he did have an exceptional retrieve on another black duck this morning and he stayed with me at the ramp, and jumped right into the truck! He's just upset cause I didn't bring him to Fla. with us :lol3:
Attachments
DSCN8379.JPG
DSCN8374.JPG
DSCN8386.JPG
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting