Last ditch effort

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Last ditch effort

Postby xxDuckWildxx » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:31 pm

Heading out tomorrow for the last shot at ducks this season. Not sure where to go since the work schedule has kept me from doing much scouting. I was hoping to find a few puddle ducks tomorrow, but don't know where to go. I'm torn between Forsythe, sea isle, Avalon and wildwood. Right now I'm leaning toward Sea Isle. If anyone has any info on duck numbers I'd greatly appreciate it!
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical"-Thomas Jefferson
xxDuckWildxx
hunter

Re: Last ditch effort

Postby DrakeH2oFowl » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:15 pm

pm sent
DrakeH2oFowl
hunter

Postby FowlHooked » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:53 pm

Hunted forsythe fri n sat for puddlers. Fri was good i lucked into some teal n the norm blacks n saw some pintails. Yest was terrible1 black n not much movin. Havent hunted sea isle this yr. Diver huntin tomorr cause what i didnt see yest. Good luck
Fowl Hooked Waterfowling on Facebook
FowlHooked
hunter

Postby Tr1ggerHappy » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:58 pm

Im heading down to sea isle tomorrow as well...hopefully ill have some good luck haven't had much time to scout down there but hey ill give it a shot. trying to decide whether to hunt off the bay or not...good luck tomorrow maybe ill see you down there white 1500 18ft grumman
Tr1ggerHappy
hunter

Postby xxDuckWildxx » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:38 pm

Thanks for the replies boys. As of 7:30 tonight I'm still undecided. Think I'm going to throw a dart at the board in the morning...lol. Good luck to you all finishing out the season tomorrow and Tuesday. I'll let you all know how we did!
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical"-Thomas Jefferson
xxDuckWildxx
hunter

Postby Quackerbarrel » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:37 pm

Fowlhooked: did you see any ducks flying Friday morning in the distance? I hunted forsythe also and had some black ducks at first light come into the decoys great along with some buffies we let live but at around 8 it started snowing real bad and very very windy, all the ducks we saw git up and right back down because of the wind, just curious if you had the same experience.
Quackerbarrel
hunter

Postby FowlHooked » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:11 pm

Pretty much the same. More flight after the snow. But blacks were doin the up n down game.
Fowl Hooked Waterfowling on Facebook
FowlHooked
hunter

Postby Quackerbarrel » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:16 pm

Yea that's what We noticed with the wind blowin like it was.
Quackerbarrel
hunter

Postby papageno » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:30 pm

We were hunting north of there and saw that snow squall go by. It stayed clear where we were, but it looked bad down that way. Divers were flying pretty well and we got a few. Hardly a blackie to be seen.
papageno
hunter

Postby Quackerbarrel » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:53 pm

Nice what were you shooting? I only saw some buffies and the black ducks and mallards I saw Thursday were gone. The snow was pretty bad, we were in the middle of it. Anyone else hunt that area Friday or Saturday? I saw alot of boats in the area and was hoping everyone beat em up the last weekend of the season. Goodluck to whoever a going out Monday and Tuesday, it's geese in a field for me tomorrow.
Quackerbarrel
hunter

Postby Tr1ggerHappy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:22 pm

duckwild i hope you made out better than I. couple buffies thats it. not much flying
Tr1ggerHappy
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:50 pm

Quackerbarrel wrote:Nice what were you shooting? I only saw some buffies and the black ducks and mallards I saw Thursday were gone. The snow was pretty bad, we were in the middle of it. Anyone else hunt that area Friday or Saturday? I saw alot of boats in the area and was hoping everyone beat em up the last weekend of the season. Goodluck to whoever a going out Monday and Tuesday, it's geese in a field for me tomorrow.

I hunted Brigantine on Friday. Had some buffies and black ducks flying early before the snow squall. After the wind picked up and blew the snow south, the ducks were mostly just popping up and getting right back down. Fortunately for us there was a biplane flying around that kept stirring the ducks up. Just as we had given up with the action and me and my friend were BSing, two canvasbacks flew across our spread at 10 yards and 5 feet off of the ground. Too bad neither one of us were paying enough attention to get our guns shouldered in time....pretty much sums up our season, lol.
dgram36
hunter

Postby xxDuckWildxx » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:44 am

Well, following a gut feeling I had we went to Avalon to hunt a pond. Got there and set up before LST. Had one puddle duck (black or mallard) land in before LST and immediately take off. 4 buffleheads landed and swam away. Once LST hit the skies were DEAD. I didn't see a single duck fly until around 7:30. After that, we got little spurts of black ducks flying. We managed to decoy in enough black ducks to get our limit. Shot one hen red-breasted merganser and one hen bufflehead more out of boredom than anything...lol. Brant harassed us all day, landing in the dekes constantly. The dog even swam out to retrieve one (live of course, we're not outlaws!) and the stupid thing just stayed there until shot got within 5 feet of it then fly to the other end of the pond! We got stuck in our pond until 2 when the tide finally came back. Don't know where all the ducks are this year? I haven't seen this few ducks in a long time. Not how I had hoped to send the season out.
xxDuckWildxx
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting