Cabela's?

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Cabela's?

Postby papageno » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:38 pm

Anyone else wonder why Cabela's stock doubled this year under their new Wall Street CEO? My experience is that their products are now made of crap. Straps pull loose, buttons pop, material frays. Never used to - or is it just me? I think profits double when products cost half as much to make, but I'm no genius.
papageno
hunter

Re: Cabela's?

Postby pvn6616 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:27 pm

As you well know, profits don't just double w/o sacrificing something, usually quality like you said. I too have seen it - I have been using their dry plus boots for years and just replaced a pair. The boots themselves feel thinner and cheaper, as does the upper portion. I didn't think too much about it until I saw this post but afterward I took a second look and compared the boots side by side and there is a definite difference.

Thanks Cabelas :no: and thanks Papa :bow: !
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:38 pm

I've noticed it, but to be honest I've noticed it with many other companies as well. Unfortunately I'm freakishly tall and cabelas seems to be one of the only places that makes tall outdoor clothing. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited for the cabelas in Delaware to open in 2014. The drive to hamburg sucks!
dgram36
hunter

Postby mr.green » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:00 am

I bought a good amount of gear from cabelas when I began hunting 3 years ago. Anything with the cabelas brand name has since been broken or torn. Waders, flashlight, gloves, all gone. I wont buy anything with the cabelas name on it.
mr.green
hunter

Postby Tr1ggerHappy » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:11 pm

pvn6616 wrote:As you well know, profits don't just double w/o sacrificing something, usually quality like you said. I too have seen it - I have been using their dry plus boots for years and just replaced a pair. The boots themselves feel thinner and cheaper, as does the upper portion. I didn't think too much about it until I saw this post but afterward I took a second look and compared the boots side by side and there is a definite difference.

Thanks Cabelas :no: and thanks Papa :bow: !

I too have the same dry plus boots most likely and the similar thing had a pair for a couple years and replaced them recently, they are no where near what they used to be!
Tr1ggerHappy
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:44 pm

Rogers sporting goods is the way to go. Usually the best prices and free shipping on ammo. Great customer service and speedy shipping.

I have a cabelas credit card and use it all the time to get cabelas points but don't buy much from them anymore.

Last time I was up at Cabela's was right when the AR buying explosion happend. I stood in line for over 2 hours until close and never spoke to an associate to buy a gun. I wanted to pick up a new shot gun and use the cabelas gift card and cabelas points I had. I called them up and asked if I could order the gun over the phone and have it shipped to my local ffl dealer so I could still use up my gift cards and points. They said yea and that it would be a special order. They took my info and I finally heard back three weeks later from some guy saying that it would be a special order and he would have to call me back :fingerhead:

I called a week later to ask about my order and was told by some women she doesn't know and that someone would call me when they find out more info. One month later absolutely no progress, yet had I been in the store earlier or a different day I could have walked out with the gun that day as it was sitting there in Stock!

I guess I will have to go to my local gun shop instead and use my cabelas money to buy some more decoys. :biggrin:
jerseydutch
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting