Hunting off the GS Parkway

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Hunting off the GS Parkway

Postby bayside » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:41 am

Does anybody know the TPA policy on parking on the shoulder of the parkway and walking out into the marshes to hunt? Scouting this year I found several promising areas (at least showing ducks and not a country mile to hike ). Of course, I dont want to have a great morning hunt and return to find my vehicle towed and impounded.
Thanks, rich
bayside
hunter

Re: Hunting off the GS Parkway

Postby FFT » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:44 am

I wouldnt even suggest this to my worst enemy. Well, maybe I would, but still a very bad idea.
FFT
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:10 am

Don't even think about it. I once had an impatient trooper on the GSP try to call a wrecker rather than let me wait for the person on his way to help me get my truck running again. They are not at all fond of vehicles being left on the side of the parkway for very long. I'm sure you can find this addressed somewhere in their regulations, to leave no doubt.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:56 pm

Even if it were legal, which I doubt it is, probably a horrible idea.
dgram36
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:25 am

NO

Any persons on the side of the road are considered disabled and you must stay with your vehicle if that is the case. I don't think could convince a trooper your broke down when you walk back up with a shotgun :biggrin: My mom worked with a guy who put a rag in his window and would go fish the ditches for stripers. That didn't last long.

I probably hunted some of those spots you eyed up. To do it right it's a long boat ride, and usually muddy. Honestly I don't think it is very worth it unless you know you have a good chance at something othe than a black duck and two hoodies. I could hunt way easier spots for that. I know about some people who don't do it right but I won't revealthose secrets so others don't get any good 'bad' ideas :lol3:
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby NJFowler » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:20 pm

Get a really good friend or understanding significant other and get dropped off and picked up, i've done it before in a few spots. It's always easier to find a ride for an afternoon hunt for some reason?? :biggrin:
NJFowler
hunter

Postby VaTailfeathers » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:54 pm

Use a motorcycle and take her right into the woods. 6 decoys in a pack, pump shotgun, barrel off, pockets of shells, breast out the birds you shoot.
VaTailfeathers
hunter

Postby bayside » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:06 am

Thanks everyone for you input. Was told by another hunter this was the case and I did look into rule on the TPA web, but nothing was posted. I can understand the safety issues on a high speed road but some of these spots sure look tasty! :sad:
Down here in Cape May Co, dont have vehicular pressure as up north, so might try the dump and go routine but the wife doesn't take kindly to getting poked at 400am (yes, double entendre intended).
bayside
hunter

Postby FFT » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:15 am

i guess there no need to tip toe around sound advice at this point. So here goes, pulling over on the GSP and getting out of any car, at any point in time, with a shotgun, is the most irresponsible idea i can think of. Youve been warned. Ialso suggest letting your wife know what the possible penalties may be.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2
FFT
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:29 am

With so much access to good hunting in the south jersey area why bother with the parkway? Do a little scouting and you will be rewarded. There are plenty of WMA's where hunting is accessable by foot and can be very productive, just stay away on opening day.
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby bayside » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:59 pm

For anyone interested I finally found what was needed: http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/documents/regulationsunofficialversionforWebsite.pdf

Don't need to spend a day waiting for the judge to call me an idjit nor the dent in my bankbook.
(2 hour limit to standing vehicles, owner must stay with car and repair otherwise called in for tow by troopers)
bayside
hunter

Postby NJFowler » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:34 am

FFT i will bite what is so irresponsible and rule breaking about being dropped off? Have you ever hunted near or been by Assunpink WMA? The part that backs up to the Turnpike? I have seen guys walk out of the woods with shotguns and load up into cars numerous times during deer season and never an issue... so just curious what is the problem you see?
NJFowler
hunter

Postby FFT » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:43 am

Yes, ive hunted assunpink. And those guys out there are no benchmark for resposibility. I know why you want to hunt that part of the parkway, its no secret whats down there. All i can say is good luck. I personally would never pull my dog out of the box on the side of the parkway, leash or not.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2
FFT
hunter

Postby NJFowler » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:39 am

I agree with you 100% I would never do it with a dog, but I was wondering if there was an actual law or penalty you were referring to in your other post warning about the consequences specifically saying "Ialso suggest letting your wife know what the possible penalties may be." I know it is dangerous (heck a lot of what we do to kill ducks could be seen as dangerous) I just thought you knew of a law I didn't.
NJFowler
hunter

Postby FFT » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:01 pm

19:8-1.7 Use of median strip and roadside areas prohibited $60

19:8-1.8 Parking, standing, stopping $20

19:8-2.5 Hunting and trapping prohibited $25
FFT
hunter

Postby FFT » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:04 pm

And beleive me when tell you I love a good laugh. At this point I encourage anyone who thinks this is a good idea to proceed. I personally would love to see someone get out a car, unload decoys, gun, dog, gear and haul it into the woods just to shoot a salty blackduck. :yes:
FFT
hunter

Postby duktatr » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:24 am

I certainly wouldn't try to park off the Parkway even to drop someone off. However, is it legal to park on the side of any of the roads that cross the WMA marshes? Sea Isle Blvd, Avalon Blvd, Stone Harbor Blvd, N Wildwood Blvd, etc... I've often seen cars and trucks parked for fishing / crabbing. Any reason that a hunter would catch more flack?
duktatr
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:35 pm

As far as parking next to WMA's, as long as there are not any "NO PARKING" signs or stopping/standing you should be okay. I know that the Absecon WMA off Rt 30 going into AC is allowed. To be perfectly safe I would check w/ the local municipalities.
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting