Helping Sandy Victims Recover

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Helping Sandy Victims Recover

Postby FOWLGAL » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:44 am

I know alot of people lost alot because of Sandy & I saw this Facebook page that I thought might be able to help some people out & I wanted to tell everyone about it's called "Rebuilding Nests" below is their info. so check them out if you want

To assist in rebuilding the lives and homes of those impacted by Sandy. We seek to meet needs for furniture and other items for families affected by Sandy. Please LIKE & SHARE & spread the word.
Description
Rebuilding Nests is a Facebook page where the public can post information regarding their needs for household items and furniture due to the great losses caused by Hurricane Sandy. The purpose of this page is to connect donors of good reputation with responsible families who were displaced in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.

If you know of someone in need of household items, furnishings or serv...ices, feel free to post here. Conversely, if you are a serious donor with items or services you would like to offer, also post here.

If you are searching for household items please feel free to contact the donors listed or post your need. One word of caution, if you are posting a need for any items, you may not want to post a phone number online. Just make sure your Facebook privacy setting allows the public to contact you via your inbox. That way your personal information will not be public knowledge.

RebuildingNests not a credential researching entity. It will not be responsible for your experience with either donors or recipients. This page is simply a point of contact for those in need and potential donors. As such, we advise you to do your due diligence and research any contact you find here the same way you would if you were searching the ads in your local paper, Craigslist or Freecycle.

We wish you the best in your pursuit obtaining those items you need to make a temporary house a "home" and pray this page will be a blessing to many who post here. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all who have lost homes, jobs and other material possessions. May God bless you as you begin to rebuild your "nest".
FOWLGAL
hunter

Re: Helping Sandy Victims Recover

Postby pvn6616 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:06 pm

Thank you for that info. It sounds like a site that may be able to help us poor souls who decided to make our home at the ocean's edge. I know that after it is all said and done I am going to be on the short end of the stick as I lost 98% of my contents and FEMA is short-changing me on everything.

I want to rant about the inequities of the flood insurance program and the new revisions to the flood zone maps but I realize that I am the minority and I decided to live in the danger zone. I knew the risks. But when I pay for 25+ yrs for full coverage and the ins co nickles and dimes me to death... it boils my blood. Nuff said...

Thanks to all those who did come thru in my time of need ... I love you guys (and Fowlgal!)
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby FFT » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:18 am

pvn6616 wrote: But when I pay for 25+ yrs for full coverage and the ins co nickles and dimes me to death... it boils my blood. Nuff said.

Pete, Did you get a public adjuster? I had no choice in the matter, at this point 10% is worth not having to be the one negotiating with a buncha crooks. At least the PA come right out and tells you how much he's gonna take.
FFT
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:52 am

John, yeah I hired one in the beginning and he hardly lifted a finger for me. They brought a crew to supposedly remove the floor and sheetrock and ripped my house apart, threw everything away and then tried to gouge me for $12K. All they were trying to do was use and abuse me. Long story short I have had to hire a lawyer at my expense and the PA is holding my homeowners insurance check as ransom. This flood has aged me man, I'm telling you, my sanity is draining. This whole experience has certainly opened my eyes to the insurance industry and their lack of compassion. Its all about the almighty dollar...surprise, surprise!

I know that I am not alone in this, up and down the shore others are being put thru this BS as well, probably worse. I have dealt with Public Adjusters in the past and they helped, I suppose if you have a decent PA they would be worth the 10%, but I happened to find an out of state company that probably spread themselves to thin. I hope your experience is going smoother than mine.
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby FFT » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:45 am

pvn6616 wrote:John, yeah I hired one in the beginning and he hardly lifted a finger for me. They brought a crew to supposedly remove the floor and sheetrock and ripped my house apart, threw everything away and then tried to gouge me for $12K. All they were trying to do was use and abuse me. Long story short I have had to hire a lawyer at my expense and the PA is holding my homeowners insurance check as ransom. This flood has aged me man, I'm telling you, my sanity is draining. This whole experience has certainly opened my eyes to the insurance industry and their lack of compassion. Its all about the almighty dollar...surprise, surprise!

I know that I am not alone in this, up and down the shore others are being put thru this BS as well, probably worse. I have dealt with Public Adjusters in the past and they helped, I suppose if you have a decent PA they would be worth the 10%, but I happened to find an out of state company that probably spread themselves to thin. I hope your experience is going smoother than mine.

Not much smoother Pete. I lost about 250k, insured for 130, still negotiating the damages. My PA is impossible to reach over the phone. No answers, no $$. To top it off, the state submitted a request for assistance under Magnuson Act but the request was crushed because of the 'pork' added into the bill. Something like a car museum in alaska was added to it?? *** does that have to do with federal fisheries? I thought missing duck season was difficult, but getting up in the morning is not what it used to be. Hang in there. QWe will get to a point when we just look back on all of it and get a bit more prepared for the next one.
FFT
hunter

Postby talltimber » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:12 am

My bil is a catastrophic ins. adj. he said the pa is the same as a pickpocket because ins co are gonna pay what they will pay. He went through some policy details I didn't understand but said it broke his heart to have to tell folks that their policies wouldn't cover what they thought it would.
talltimber
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting