Friday Afternoon Snows

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Friday Afternoon Snows

Postby pvn6616 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:28 pm

It seemed like a good idea to run out and chase some snow geese this afternoon. I just knew they'ld be flying as the tide was dropping and the NW winds were blowing hard, two factors that in the past have been conducive to successful hunting. They were fling and as soon as I arrived I watched two groups drop in. Jack and I set up and we didn't have long to wait before the first snows came straight towards us. I was all set but the group pulled away 20yds shy of the decoys and then landed 100yds away.

This happened a second time, but the first 4 were ALMOST close enough to shoot. I was just about to draw on them when they pulled away and circled and landed. We decided that if we were going to shoot any we'd better move and get in the flight path. I put us on the "X" and was gathering up a few pieces of driftwood to make a seat when I got caught 20yds away from my gun when the first flock flew right over me. They were followed by wave after wave of snows, Jack and I raced back to my gun but the snows were not fooled. They flared and stayed away. I didn't have long to wait and the next wave drifted right over me and finally Jack had a retrieve. The winds made an easy shot difficult and didn't give much in the way of a second shot. We ended up dropping three geese before the flight ended around 7pm and we then had fun bumping into every sandbar on our way home in the dark in a blowout tide.

The batteries in the camera died before any of the real action started but here's a coule of shots...
Attachments
DSCN8762.JPG
DSCN8752.JPG
DSCN8750.JPG
Waiting patiently
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Re: Friday Afternoon Snows

Postby FFT » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:29 am

:thumbsup:
FFT
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:40 am

Way to keep on 'em pete!
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby ngiglio » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:29 am

Way to go Pete! :)
ngiglio
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:27 pm

dgram36
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:31 pm

Hey dg-

Have you gotten out any more? ...maybe next year we'll put together another snow goose hunt for nj members, even though we didn't get much shooting we had fun
pvn6616
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:07 pm

Unfortunately I haven't at all. My regular hunting partner is in some intense military training and barely has any time to do anything. On top of that, I've got a three month old daughter that keeps me pretty busy. ngiglio was nice enough to give me some local scouting reports and I never was able to take advantage of them. I'm in the process of looking for a boat now so next season will be much better for me. I'd love to do a group hunt next year! I'm from upstate New York so I know very little about hunting the bays and the coastal marshes. I'm sure I could learn a lot from you more experienced guys.
dgram36
hunter

Postby NeverFail » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:55 am

Pete, We were there all morning and left at 2:30 pm friday. We saw a few in the morning and most were sitting in safe zones. I wish I knew you were going we would of stayed longer. We bumped all the way out in the morning. We didn't want to get caught out there like last year in the lowest tide in history. HAHA. Mark
Last edited by NeverFail on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
NeverFail
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:25 pm

Mark, I made it out okay and anchored the boat in deep water when I walked in but the tide dropped and I had to wait til after dark to get out and then bumped most of the way home myself as for some reason the GPS acted up! Just another fun day on the bay. Thank goodness the winds died out at sunset casuse it was blowing pretty hard in the afternoon.
pvn6616
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting