DHC Friends

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

DHC Friends

Postby pvn6616 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:11 pm

I saw a member of the DHC community today who has dedicated his life to the outdoors and waterfowl in particular. This man has been cleaning the bays and waterways of New Jersey since the storm last fall. It was inspirational to see him and his crew at the ramp with a barge full of debris. I know he's not the type to accept congrats but I really want to acknowledge the fact that Dave puts his heart and soul into the life of an outdoorsman and I am very proud of his accomplishments.

We met online here two or three seasons ago and enjoyed some hunts together. We had some good hunts, each time he would play the role of the guide, which was hard for me as I have always played that role. I did enjoy NOT being the "guide" and accepted the role of the guest with much enthusiasm, although after 40+ years as the "guide" to my friends it felt odd. I tried to get him to shoot, but he never would. Turns out he got his captains license and began operating his own guiding service last season and he disappeared from DHC.

I also know he is quite accomplished as a fisherman as well and would probably be doing fine making a living as a fishing guide but he is unselfishly taking to the bay with the rest of the cleanup crew to rid the bays of the debris which washed ashore from the storm.

Well, I even though I have not said enough about this gentleman and his dedication to our waterfowling heritage I will end it here before it gets to carried away and I tell you who he is... :hi:

You done well my friend, you done well!
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Re: DHC Friends

Postby olclamman » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:32 am

i dont know or have ever met this MAN but i would
like to shake his hand and thank him for his time in caring for
the waters we all love THANK YOU

oc
retired less money more wife
olclamman
hunter

Postby DrakeS » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:35 pm

WOW… Pete I am at a loss for words, Thank you…

It was great seeing you and finally meeting jack. You have a great looking puppy there and I am looking forward to hunting with you again and jack in the near future..

After reading your kind words an idea had come to me about explaining to our fellow new jersey hunters who are not in the loop as to what is actually going on right now in the bays and creeks, I may not have all the answers but I can try to help if any one has questions about what we are doing now.

Its true what Pete has said about me working in the bays and creeks from the 72 bridge south to cape may. The contractor I am working for has been chosen to clean up all water ways and islands. Among other tasks the state might have us do.

I am one of many in a crew who are working 7 days a week 12 to 14 hour days doing this cleanup of OUR water ways, picking trash and boards and any thing you could possibly think of off of our islands and waterways. Every one working with me calls me duck Dave, they all know what I do for a living and that my goal is to make the water ways safe and the islands clean and safe for our four legged friends, hunters and boaters.

We have about a 25 member crew running 3 pontoon boats a chase boat, a tug/barge with two dumpsters and a excavator on it running every day picking trash and hauling it away. We are literally walking every island and water way cleaning it all.
There are a few phases that are happening. One is land, two is visible water cleanup, three is submersed debris, etc. not in any order right now.

One thing I would like to do is if any duck hunter/boater has any info on sunken debris, please fell free to pass on this info to me and I will make sure it gets through the proper channels. We are going to be looking for everything and anything in the water that might hinder our water ways, cars, trees, pilings… etc.. if you know of any thing that might be of help please pass on the gps coordinates or any other form of location type of info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Pete.
See you soon

Dave
U.S.C.G. OUPV Licensed Captain.
Life Time Member B.A.S.S.
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Delta Waterfowl
http://drakeswaterfowlguide.com/home
DrakeS
hunter

Postby DrakeS » Tue May 07, 2013 6:26 am

did any one loose a decoy or two while out hunting?

i have been finding a few here and there on the islands

i am still in brigatine and a/c area right now but we have another crew up in middle creek doing cleaning
might be a whole summer of cleaning right now

dave
U.S.C.G. OUPV Licensed Captain.
Life Time Member B.A.S.S.
Member Ducks Unlimited
Member Delta Waterfowl
http://drakeswaterfowlguide.com/home
DrakeS
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting