Species on a coastal hunt.

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Species on a coastal hunt.

Postby Lurch4004 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:34 pm

What species can I expect to encounter on a coastal hunt in New Jersey back in the marshes? Can I use a Mallard decoy set and still expect to draw ducks in? I am used to hunting inland so do not know what to expect? Any help would be appreciated.
Lurch4004
hunter

Re: Species on a coastal hunt.

Postby FFT » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:02 pm

Simply put, blackducks. If you can elaborate a bit im sure someone will be willing to chime in.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2
FFT
hunter

Postby Lurch4004 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:53 pm

Planning to fall hunt in the Brigantine Wildlife refuge. Have fished the area for years and know some shallow areas that would be good for ducks, Geese and Etc. Plan on a fall hunt, October/November with an outside chance for Dec. What kind of ducks am I likley to encounter? I have Mostly Mallard call and decoys, Will these work or will I need to add others?
Lurch4004
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:25 pm

Don't plan on hunting there in October, unless you want to get a ticket. Coastal zone doesn't open until usually the second weekend of Nov.

As far as species, Forsythe impoundments will have just about every species of puddle duck by that time. But odds are in the marshes you can hunt you will only shoot a black duck, maybe some teal or a mallard. Along the bay, bufflehead. Some people luck into pintails and other species in the fall around there but the guys that have put a lot of time in and know places other species frequent are the ones that usually shoot pintails, widgeon, gadwall, ect. But they have more black duck days than other species days that is for sure. Weather is a big factor too.
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby FFT » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:59 pm

Paint bleach bottles like brant or get some cheap silos for brant. I could kill 2 with a boomerang down there if i really wanted to.

FFT
hunter

Postby Lurch4004 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:21 pm

So do you use regular goose call for Brant? I think I could make up some silouttes pretty well. I am a bit artiscally inclined. What kind of set would you use for them. Some on shore some in a V shape in the shallows?
Lurch4004
hunter

Postby ngiglio » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:21 pm

I always use a mix bag of deks but main spread is blackies.
ngiglio
hunter

Postby FFT » Wed May 01, 2013 7:47 pm

Lurch4004 wrote:So do you use regular goose call for Brant? I think I could make up some silouttes pretty well. I am a bit artiscally inclined. What kind of set would you use for them. Some on shore some in a V shape in the shallows?

Brant are a piece of cake. I can only speak for myself and my buddies, but we call with our mouths. "Kkkuuurrrruuuuppp" is all you need. Add some black and white close to the shore and its a done deal. Dont try to complicate a brant hunt.

FFT
hunter

Postby Lurch4004 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:13 am

Some I will look for some shallow bay areas that are sheltered from the wind. I guess most of the ducks/brant feed on the grasses and seaweed? How do you make silouttes float upright? Do you attach a head to the painted bleach bottles for realism?
Lurch4004
hunter

Postby FFT » Mon May 06, 2013 5:40 am

Lurch4004 wrote:Some I will look for some shallow bay areas that are sheltered from the wind. I guess most of the ducks/brant feed on the grasses and seaweed? How do you make silouttes float upright? Do you attach a head to the painted bleach bottles for realism?

Imagine a real estate sign, cut into the shape of a bird, with a simple black & white paint job. Like these - only exception is I stick them in the mud rather than float on an x-board.

http://antiquesimagearchive.com/items/D9845973.html
FFT
hunter

Postby papageno » Thu May 09, 2013 7:27 pm

Make rig Of 4 carrylite canada floaters for the brant and a few bufflehead or goldeneye decoys for the buffleheads and youll get plenty of bayside shooting. Use a couple of fullbody blackduck decoys alone in the marsh for the blackies.
papageno
hunter

Postby Lurch4004 » Sun May 12, 2013 2:42 pm

Thanks Pap> those look pretty straight forward. I'll make some up and post pics. :biggrin:
Lurch4004
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting