Beretta Extrema2

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Beretta Extrema2

Postby mtl_duck » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:41 am

Hi All;

Love this site; I hope to be a regular reader/participant. Anyhoo, I just purchased this nice new shotgun... :getdown: can't wait to try it out on ducks in just a few weeks (19 days to go!!!). Has anyone had any experience with this gun in the field (or marsh)? When did it come out anyways?

I've hunted with a variety of guns, but mainly with a Browning Auto-5 (an oldie, but a goodie), which I gave up for a Beretta A300 (which is stuck in Canada at the moment).

Just curious... what do you guys use? This'll be the first time I'm hunting with a gun that can hold 2.75 - 3.5 inch shells. Is 3+ inches really necessary? I'm hoping my kill rate will increase, due to the increase in firepower, but it could also be that I just plain suck at wingshooting :help:

L8ter :laughing:

Anthony
mtl_duck
hunter

Remington

Postby shoremen44 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:57 am

Ant,
I use a remington super mag 870...

I shoot 3 1/2 inches and i find that I have alot of extra distance on pass shots
shoremen44
hunter

Postby tapera » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:30 pm

anthony, here's my $.02.

i hunted for 15 years with a 20 guage pump, 3" steel #2 and did just fine because i knew how far i could shoot reliably, which wasn't far (35 yards was about it). then, because new guns are just too fun not to try, i went to a different extreme and bought my second-ever shotgun, a beretta o/u chambered for 3.5". i also started using hevi-shot #2. my findings were several. one is that what you shoot good with, you shoot good with, whether it's a pea-shooter or a cannon. but there's absolutely no question that 3.5" tungsten shells will double your range. for me, that's useful and not. i just don't like shooting non-decoying, close-in ducks. i was raised hunting timber and little river sloughs, so we never pass-shot birds, and i still won't do it. still, if your buddy misses twice or nicks a bird, you can reliably, with practice, drop the bird dead at an honest 60 yards. and i mean dead-dead. also, with big ducks, there's NO comparison between steel and the polymers regarding kill-rate: steel sails a lot of birds; polymers drop them dead, no matter the distance.

now, the downside. one is price. i can't afford hevi any more, period. two is kick. a 3.5" shell with tungsten shot in a light-ish gun will absolutely hurt you after a few days of shooting. the last year i hunted a lot, i got to where i had to stop because my cheek was so swollen. third, that stuff REALLY tears birds up. forget whole, roasted birds--you have to breast them and cut the hematomas out.

so for me, i've kind of reached a middle road. for little ducks early (teal, gadwalls, young birds) i shoot kent faststeel in #2 or BB (remember: steel has less energy than lead, so bigger is actually smaller). later on,when the birds are big and really plumed, i use the fancy stuff, but in 3" or even 2.75", and in smaller sizes like #3 or #4. this year i'm trying kent tungsten matrix, which is supposedly easier on barrels, and is definitely easier on the pocketbook.

good luck!
tapera
hunter

Postby rangerbob01 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:41 am

I have an extrema 2. It's the best one i've ever owned. I had a extrema 3 years a go and traded it in after seeing one of the x2's last year. I didnt think the could improve on what I thought was a perfect gun, but they did.I used it all lasr season and sporting clays over the summer and it performed perfect! My hunting partner just bought himself one after shooting mine last season. good luck with it. Bob
rangerbob01
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting