SWAPPING HUNTS?

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

SWAPPING HUNTS?

Postby Capemaycarver609 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Anyone willing to swap some hunts this year?
I'm getting tired of the same old same old coastal hunts even though me and my buddies have killer spots.
I'm willing to swap hunts or if you wanna put me on some exotics (whic for me is anything from woodies to widgeon) I'd just leave a decoy I've carved or something. Not looking to pay except maybe some boat gas money, otherwise I'd just call up a guide!

Put me on some puddlers ill put ya on some divers!

I'm especially curious about our rivers (Salem, Maurice, tuckahoe) and I'd love to see what Supawna has to offer.
you want good looking decoys, most of the dumb ducks are dead
Capemaycarver609
hunter

Re: SWAPPING HUNTS?

Postby Capemaycarver609 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:22 pm

OKAY OKAY,

I GET IT, only the big Whigs that post pictures, talk the talk,been around the block, Yada yada yada, actually get replies or suggestions on this site usually

With that being understood, you guys gotta understand, IM JUST A YOUNG GUY LOOKING FOR SOME PUDDLE DUCK ACTION!!! HELP ME OUT PLEASE! I don't want to ruin spots or reveal secrets, like I said, the only pay I can offer is some gas money or decoys that I carve, I've been carving under apprenticeship from some of the best carvers that ever lived so you won't be getting some butt ugly foam or cork decoy, jersey cedar! For the rig or the mantle, or in the fireplace if you want!

Help me get out of my bufflehead and bluebill blues and show me some pintails, mallards, woodies, or widgeon! I promise I won't bend your ear too much! :help: :help: :help: :bow:
Capemaycarver609
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:20 pm

The Jersey forum is a lil slow in the offseason. I'm sure once people out their fishing poles and speedos away they'll be back on here in droves. Plenty of puddle duckers on here who would like to kill some divers. I might even be one of them. My regular hunting buddy suffers from the affliction called work from time to time so you might be able to tag along with me. PM me in September.
dgram36
hunter

Postby jerseydutch » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:25 pm

Quiet this time of the year around here.

You probably won't get much love asking to be put on some puddle ducks, especially pintail and wigeon.... a lot of guys hold their puddle duck spots in high regard. However quite a few people on here are friendly and may even take you out.

You can't be more than 40 minutes from the Tuckahoe and Maurice rivers if you live in cape may county and 1-1.5 hrs from salem. Go run a boat around now and check 'em out so you can have a feel for them during hunting season.
jerseydutch
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:03 pm

Hey CM Carver,

I hope you weren't talking about me cause I'm one of the biggest picture poster on the NJ forum, cause I have invited many a member to hunt with me and I'll do the same for you, but like Dgram and JerseyDutch mentioned it is pretty quite round these parts til the season gets going. You'll find the members here are very friendly and we do share, more so than other states. But we are also protective of our spots because of the cyberscouting, so don't take offense.

I'm just up the road in Brigantine and shoot plenty of black ducks and Brant, but can see almost anything on any given day so if you're interested send me a PM and we'll try to make a plan.

So who do you carve with, Jamie? Tony?
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:33 pm

pvn6616 wrote:Hey CM Carver,

I hope you weren't talking about me cause I'm one of the biggest picture poster on the NJ forum, cause I have invited many a member to hunt with me and I'll do the same for you, but like Dgram and JerseyDutch mentioned it is pretty quite round these parts til the season gets going. You'll find the members here are very friendly and we do share, more so than other states. But we are also protective of our spots because of the cyberscouting, so don't take offense.

I'm just up the road in Brigantine and shoot plenty of black ducks and Brant, but can see almost anything on any given day so if you're interested send me a PM and we'll try to make a plan.

So who do you carve with, Jamie? Tony?

Damn CM, that's a good invite right there from Pete. The squeaky wheel gets all the grease;) On another note, I'm not sure how many reruns from duck hunting shows I can possibly watch. That's what I get for getting hooked on quack.
dgram36
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:18 am

dgram - hey brother, we've got to get together as well this year! I'm getting older every year and will have to give up my secret spots eventually...lol. I'm going on to my 45th yr of duck hunting!!!
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:07 pm

pvn6616 wrote:dgram - hey brother, we've got to get together as well this year! I'm getting older every year and will have to give up my secret spots eventually...lol. I'm going on to my 45th yr of duck hunting!!!

Thanks for the invite! Yeah it's not the spots that I necessarily could use help with. There seems to be plenty of spots to hunt on the coast. Not new to duck hunting but pretty new to the coastal thing. Whole different ball game! I'm sure I could learn a lot from you and the rest of the experienced coastal hunters on here.
dgram36
hunter

Postby Capemaycarver609 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Pvn, no hard feelings intended just tried to nudge some responses my way! I'd love to hook up on some hunts together, I really a just want to steer away from shooting so many damn divers this year! Any puddle duck hunting will do but as I said I'd love to get into some of what u consider exotics (sprigs wigeon mallard teal).

LET'S TALK!

I actually do a lot of carving with jamie hand and dave billig, they have been guiding to become a decoy carver for two years now I would say, I started when I was about 16/17 I'm only running up on 19 now! I know tony but he seems to enjoy some solitude, I'm a big fan of his work though.
Capemaycarver609
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:56 am

Capemaycarver609 wrote:Pvn, no hard feelings intended just tried to nudge some responses my way! I'd love to hook up on some hunts together, I really a just want to steer away from shooting so many damn divers this year! Any puddle duck hunting will do but as I said I'd love to get into some of what u consider exotics (sprigs wigeon mallard teal).

LET'S TALK!

I actually do a lot of carving with jamie hand and dave billig, they have been guiding to become a decoy carver for two years now I would say, I started when I was about 16/17 I'm only running up on 19 now! I know tony but he seems to enjoy some solitude, I'm a big fan of his work though.

If you think mallards are exotic, I'm your man. That's all I seem to kill, lol.
dgram36
hunter

Postby Capemaycarver609 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:17 am

It's not that mallards are EXOTIC to me it's just the barrel of my gun has not seen as many of them as it has bufflehead or bluebills haha!

I'd love to meet up with both of you guys during the season and swap some hunts!
Capemaycarver609
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:55 pm

Capemaycarver609 wrote:It's not that mallards are EXOTIC to me it's just the barrel of my gun has not seen as many of them as it has bufflehead or bluebills haha!

I'd love to meet up with both of you guys during the season and swap some hunts!

I know what you mean, I love killing greenheads. I'm up near Bordentown, get ahold of me in September we'll work something out.
dgram36
hunter

Postby bayside » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:44 pm

CM Carver
Echoing the sentiments of others, I've been doing summer stuff, tho am waiting expectantly for cabelas waterfowl catalog. Im up in dennis twp & my regular hunt partner is usually stirper fishing til xmas. Keep in touch and I'll get you on SZ early teal. Maybe you can show me how to bag a something in coastal besides a buffie or brant.
bayside
hunter

Postby BobF » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:26 am

If you want Woodies I would be glad to have you up to PA. I hunt the susquehanna river and early season is lots of Woodies. Our second spilt is mallard time. Lots of geese around usually as well.

sent from my S III using TapaTalk
BobF
hunter

Postby altrocker1 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:29 pm

Im up in North Jersey...I am new to the area, but I've been hunting waterfowl for over 20 years now, so I'm sure it won't take me long to get things figured out. I would love to learn more about coastal hunting. Being from Iowa, quite honestly it scares me a little...I've vowed to learn how it all works, tides, migrations, big water, backwater marshes etc, but as of right now its completely foreign to me. once i get some spots figured out, i would be willing to swap a hunt. Might take me a few weeks of the season to get into gear though...
altrocker1
hunter

Postby pluckinduck » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:27 pm

If anyone would like to teach me some fun hunting that would be awesome. im 25, never hunted before, and cannot wait to learn. i live in upper township and have a boat im going to build a blind for soon. can pay with gas or beer :biggrin:
pluckinduck
hunter

Postby johnboy07 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:44 pm

If you go to Supawna make sure who ever is taking you is extremely knowledgable of the the area. It is very tricky getting into many places. But they have opened almost all or the refuge up to duck hunting this year
"You know your team's not in the race when guys are growing beards for the duck hunting season."

— Steve Boros
:beer:
johnboy07
State Moderator

Postby rozzo842 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:52 pm

altrocker1 wrote:Im up in North Jersey...I am new to the area, but I've been hunting waterfowl for over 20 years now, so I'm sure it won't take me long to get things figured out. I would love to learn more about coastal hunting. Being from Iowa, quite honestly it scares me a little...I've vowed to learn how it all works, tides, migrations, big water, backwater marshes etc, but as of right now its completely foreign to me. once i get some spots figured out, i would be willing to swap a hunt. Might take me a few weeks of the season to get into gear though...

where you at, I'm up north also.
rozzo842
hunter

Postby altrocker1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:46 pm

jersey city for now...we are most likely moving out to denville/rockaway in a few months though.
altrocker1
hunter

Postby rozzo842 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:34 am

altrocker1 wrote:jersey city for now...we are most likely moving out to denville/rockaway in a few months though.

Big difference between JC and Denville. I'm in Jefferson which is right next to Rockaway. I'm 10 min from the Rockaway mall. There's a few decent spots up here, you just need to do your homework.
rozzo842
hunter

Postby altrocker1 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:28 pm

rozzo842 wrote:
altrocker1 wrote:jersey city for now...we are most likely moving out to denville/rockaway in a few months though.

Big difference between JC and Denville. I'm in Jefferson which is right next to Rockaway. I'm 10 min from the Rockaway mall. There's a few decent spots up here, you just need to do your homework.

You don't need to tell the Iowa boy twice. I lasted a lot longer the last time we lived this close to the city. We've been doing some scouting/ exploring that way the last few weeks. Once next Thursday hits I'll be doing a lot more scouting. Found a nice looking goose field but don't have time to hunt it yet. Ya'll are spoiled here...new jersey has more public hunting acres than the entire state of iowa

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk 2
altrocker1
hunter

Postby kburke » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:16 am

Altrocker,

I just moved out of JC a few months ago and am now up in Northern Bergen county. There's a spot just a few min. / miles from you there and if you think Jersey is good, you should check out NY. I'm always looking for folks to go with so let me know if you want to get together and I'd be happy to bring you around to places I know.
kburke
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:49 am

kburke wrote:Altrocker,

I just moved out of JC a few months ago and am now up in Northern Bergen county. There's a spot just a few min. / miles from you there and if you think Jersey is good, you should check out NY. I'm always looking for folks to go with so let me know if you want to get together and I'd be happy to bring you around to places I know.

Where do you go in NY? I go up to the finger lakes once a year. Have permission on a few farms and my dad lives on Cayuga lake near montezuma. Pretty good action all year.
dgram36
hunter

Postby kburke » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:25 am

Usually just over the border - southern Hudson Valley - since time is somewhat limited with two small kids (I was finally successful on a hunt with my older 6 yr old with three geese yesterday so I hope he'll be pushing mom to allow us more time!!) Other than that, I try to go up to the ADKs as much as possible since I have a couple friends with houses up there or the Catskills since they are closer. I've only been up to the Finger Lakes area one time, but it was vacation and not hunting - but I loved it.

NY just has way more public land (and allows Sun. hunting) - although its obviously mostly much further spread out than in NJ since its a much bigger state.
kburke
hunter

Postby dgram36 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:14 pm

kburke wrote:Usually just over the border - southern Hudson Valley - since time is somewhat limited with two small kids (I was finally successful on a hunt with my older 6 yr old with three geese yesterday so I hope he'll be pushing mom to allow us more time!!) Other than that, I try to go up to the ADKs as much as possible since I have a couple friends with houses up there or the Catskills since they are closer. I've only been up to the Finger Lakes area one time, but it was vacation and not hunting - but I loved it.

NY just has way more public land (and allows Sun. hunting) - although its obviously mostly much further spread out than in NJ since its a much bigger state.

Yup, I've lived in Poughkeepsie (Hudson Valley), Coxsackie (Catskills), and Lake George (ADKs) so I know what your talking about there. Finger lakes is by far my favorite for waterfowl. Ridiculous amount of geese all season. Thy just raised their early season limit to 15 like jersey. Thinking I need to make another trip soon. Maybe sneak in some salmon fishing while I'm at it. New York is a great state for outdoorsman, if it weren't for the NYC politicians trying to keep everyone indoors.
dgram36
hunter

Next

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting