Long thanksgiving weekend hunt - help

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Long thanksgiving weekend hunt - help

Postby mtl_duck » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:41 pm

Hi All;

I won't be going home to Montreal for Thanksgiving this year: my folks are in Europe, and my sister and her family in Ottawa have other plans (Canadian Thanksgiving is on Oct 9). I get Nov 23 & 24 off of work and was hoping to go on a two or three day duck hunting trip in southern Jersey (Thurs-Sat) :thumbsup: .

Anyone have any tips of where I can go for some decent opportunities for that time of the year? Or would anyone mind some company if they're planning on going out? Please keep me in mind! :help: I've never been down that way (although I did go on the Delaware bridge twice on my way to Washington last year, but only passed thru the area).

I have a canoe, lots of camo netting, a ground blind (if necessary) a dozen mallard decoys, 4 black duck decoys and 6 floating Canada goose decoys.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated! :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance!!!

Anthony
duck hunting IS all its quacked-up to be!
mtl_duck
hunter

Postby njplotts » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:27 am

Hunting coastal the end of Nov in a canoe..... BE CAREFUL!!
njplotts
hunter

Postby mtl_duck » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:50 am

Beggars can't be choosers :laughing:

I plan to stay out of open water. I tend NOT to get myself into a situation I can't paddle out of...
duck hunting IS all its quacked-up to be!
mtl_duck
hunter

Postby Modified_Choking » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:44 pm

I have used my canoe in the coastal but only on a beachfront where I know the bathymetry (bottom) very well AND have another hunting partner. Even still, please note the canoe is only used to retreive a downed bird or set decoys which I usually don't put out too far; especially on an incoming tide.

Beware, as others have stated, you can (as I did once in Dec.) flip a canoe. All it takes is one wave and a pair of waders to put yourself in perilous danger. Fortunately, but yet planned for, I was in my safety zone where I knew I could touch bottom, was wearing a PFD and had my buddy with me.

Since that time I did flip, I have rigged my canoe with a home made outrigger which does help add some stability. If you prefer, Cabela's sells one for approx. $180.

Don't get me wrong, it can be done but, seeing that you are not familiar with the area, I would lean on the side of caution and leave the canoe behind - atleast on the first day until you can see the tide swing and survey the bottom and potential depths.

As for where to go...sorry never hunted that area. Be Safe.
I'm talkin bout the Lifestyle of the not so rich and famous.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby jcoastie7 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:37 am

where are you going to be? I usually hunt around the millville area and if you are going to be down here it would be no problem to at least point you in the right direction. not sure if I will be working that weekend yet. If I am off I will be duck hunting.
jcoastie7
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting