Delaware water gap reports

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Delaware water gap reports

Postby crewchief252 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:42 pm

As most of you know i hunt the gap often, so i will be posting reports as i go, Hit it opening day in the afternoon with my son, saw a few small flocks of mallards, and a few woodies, all were sailing down stream faster than my paycheck disappears at Cabelas, finally moved a 100 yrds or so, and managed 1 hen woody.
Picked up the kid from school last wed and headed up again, decided to go up a little further than usual, saw a few woodies hanging under a tree, but a little to far for a shot, as we stood there , the ducks just kept on coming out of that spot, about 100 all total, mostly woodies, maybe 20 -30 mallards also, got set up and sure enough they started trickling back little by little, son had a ball was shooting every 20 minutes, unfortunately, niether one of us could hit a bull in the a#@ with a snowshovel that day, but the kid finally managed a hen woody, but was a heck of a day, he has a black and blue shoulder and loved every minute of it. Going to do some skeet on sunday, then heading back up there monday, and hopefully all those birds will still be there
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Scatterman » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:41 pm

Chief,

Sounds like a good day in the gap. Hunted last Thursday at Columbia lake (just south of the gap) and saw about a dozen birds. Mixed bag of woodies, mallards, blacks - got two close passing shots off but missed on both. As expected the resident birds didn't want to decoy after getting shot at all opening week. That place is a zoo, I stopped by late in the morning on opening day (I was bow hunting), and I counted 7 hunting parties in that little strech, it was ridiculous. Can't wait for some colder weather to bring in some fresh birds.

Shoot me an e-mail or PM if you are ever looking for a hunting partner at the gap. I work 5 minutes from there and live in Washington.
Scatterman
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:02 pm

We kicked up about 40-50 woodies out of our spot today, but for some reason they didn't come back today like they did last week, had 1 pr come zooming thru just before sunset, but he wasn't paying attention, so he got off a late shot
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jsm1977 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:54 pm

I hunted the river Wed. morning. I saw quite a few birds (mostly woodies) and a lot of geese, but nothing within 100 yards. As usual, set up in the wrong place. Hopefully will be better next time.
jsm1977
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:57 pm

That's to bad, we supposed to hit the bay sat for youth day coastal, but the weather isn't looking to good, so maybe the river, but water will be high, who knows, kid really wants to go to the bay, so that will be a last minute decision, have to play it by ear, we do have a spot down there that requires very little boat travel, and is fairly protected, and i would like to get down there myself for some scouting, i plan on hunting there the mon after opener, we'll see, will definately be up the river next wek, probably wed or thurs.
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Delaware Water Gap Reports - Oct 20/21, 2006

Postby Modified_Choking » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:22 pm

Camping @ Worthington - 3 nights (one was wet) and a glorified Port-O-Pottie. - $80

Food, travel a ton of new and uneeded duck hunting gear. - $227

Plenty of Mallards and Woodies right next to my campsite but none where I can legally hunt them.

PRICELESS !!!
I'm talkin bout the Lifestyle of the not so rich and famous.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:40 pm

Should have gone about 1000yrds down stream, they hang behind that small island (dirt pile), how was the water level this morning, was thinking of going up this afternoon, but was too beat up from taking the boys to the bay for youth day.
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting