Coastal Open

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Coastal Open

Postby Modified_Choking » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:26 pm

Am I the only idiot still awake from 4AM this morning?

How did everyone do?

We got 4 Brandt; 2 for me and 2 for my buddy - Raritan Bay.
I'm talkin bout the Lifestyle of the not so rich and famous.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:22 pm

No, i was awake also, only difference was i was at work, but i will be out there tues morning, going out of keyport, did ya see any broadies, or buffs?
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mtl_duck » Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:21 pm

Hah! beat you both... but I was up since 2 am! Its just past ten...

Boy was it a dissapointing day! If anyone was at Manahawkin WMA, please chime in, I'm curious about your personal experience from today...

There were lots of skybusters! One guy set up a blind before the opener and then showed up (within 75 feet of where I was - i measured it out later) 10 mins before shooting to begin setting out decoys! :pissed: he and his partner had fun, since i let the ones which were obviously cupped for his spread go to him instead of taking a 50 yrd passing shot. (they got 5 that I could see - only took one, a black duck). Did I mention he kept calling using what sounded to me to be a mallard distress call...? :thumbsdown:

And on the levee!!! There must've been at least 6 guys, every single son of a mother skybusted... :pissed: overall, there were at least 12, but I figure close to 15 guys hunting that large pond. Did I mention that all those guys on the levee were in plain view, walking casually up and down, no decoys or anything that I could see, talking, exclaiming, etc oh yeah, and they too showed just at sunrise making lots of noise... you guys know just how great voices carry over water. :umm:

The first 4 guys showed up right after I did and were nice enough, I think I took their planned spot, but they were nice enough to move around the bend and out of the way. Them I liked. :thumbsup:

I missed a whole bunch I should've taken, i lost my focus. I've never hunted with 14 other pairs of eyes (strangers on top of that) watching me shoot in an actual hunting situation in such close quarters before. Ever happen to anyone else? More trap shooting for me - till my trigger finger bleeds! Until it becomes 2nd nature. :help: Ah well. hind sight is 20-20 :)

I feel the need to buy a decent duck boat and appropriate rig for big water duck hunting... maybe in a year or two due to a lack of $$$ :help: there was lots of shooting coming from the bay.

Good luck for the rest of the season to all :salude: . I hope your coastal opener experience was better than mine. (nice black duck though - my first).

Anthony
duck hunting IS all its quacked-up to be!
mtl_duck
hunter

Postby Modified_Choking » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:03 am

crewchief252 - We had no puddler or divers come close enough for a shot. During the early daylight hours we saw plenty of - what I believe were rafts of GWT - saw a lot of amber color. If they were darker with white then I guess they would have scaup. Feel free to chime in here I've only got 2.5 seasons under my belt. They were out on the bight towards South Amboy. As for buffs - just a couple here and there splashing down. There were some shots being fired out of Keyport, Matawan Creek I believe but could not see anything.

Anyway, we hung in there until about 1 PM and had Brant move in. The tide was out to dead low. They were flocked up about 20-30 yards in the water. We decided to give it a try and walk up on them. When we did they flew away and sat down about two-hundred yards down the shore. So we went to plan B. We waded in the water to about knee deep and then knelt down in the bay. After about 15 minutes or so another small group flew past the existing group, circled, then they all got up and moved right over us. My buddy dropped two, and I one. We waited a little longer and then I had my second.

If no one has tried this tactic before, I can assure you it works; dekes or no dekes. Naturally you would think, "There's no cover!" It does help if some cover exists, for example a few years ago we had ice bergs that just sat on the beach at low tide. We pulled up a chair behind them and had action with both Scaup and a few passing Mallard.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby Modified_Choking » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:06 am

mtl_duck - What is a skybuster? Is it someone who shoots before legal time or someone who comes in and just messes everything up? I suppose the earlier applies to the latter though.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby mtl_duck » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:05 am

Skybusting... i've seen it in magazines and used on the net. Its when a "hunter" takes a shot thats out of range (or outside of his ability to hit), usually on a passing bird - thereby not allowing it/them to continue on their original planned route, which could have been to decoy into YOUR spread, not too far away. :thumbsdown:
duck hunting IS all its quacked-up to be!
mtl_duck
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting