Duck Hunting Forum banner

maurice river for ducks

4K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Tack in NJ 
#1 ·
anyone hunt the maurice river this year

#4 ·
I launched out of the millville ramp and headed down towards the mouth of the menantico creek. The first time I went it was more of a boat ride although I did see quackers flying. My fishing boat is hardly a duckboat but I am working on a proper duckboat for my next trip.
The 2nd time I headed out in my little 12 foot jon which does have a blind I fashioned. I headed upstream this time towards Union lake but found that there were many houses along the water and no place to hunt safely.
If you want to offer me a little advice, I'm all ears and would most appreciative. I've always hunted smaller ponds and lakes and this is my first attempt at a river.

#7 ·
I THINK YOU CAN HUNT ANYWHERE EXCEPT CLOSE TO HOUSES AND POSTED LAND . I THOUGHT YOU CAN HUNT ANYWHERE UP TO THE RIVERS HIGH TIDE MARK, BUT YOUR NOT ALLOWED ON THE BANKS IN SOME AREAS.

THE RIVER IS PRETTY EASY AS LONG AS THE WIND IS RIGHT AND THE WATER IS HIGH ENOUGH TO GET YOUR BOAT CLOSE TO THE BANK FOR COVER.

I WILL BE THERE IN DECEMBER , MAYBE I WILL SHOW YOU SOME GOOD SPOTS IF I SEE YOU THERE.

#8 ·
Well that is neighborly of you...thanks. Look for a 14 foot v-bottom or a 12 foot jon...neither of which will have more blind than I can afford to make myself. Or you can always send me a PM and I'll see ya there. My 15 year old boy usually goes with me. We aren't very good but we try very hard.

#10 ·
Union lake is a beautiful place. I hunted there for geese this september and even managed to bag a couple. I never hunted for ducks there although I have seen them flying over.
My problem is that I have a white fishing boat, canoe and small jon boat. I'm working on a proper duck boat now but the engine is taking more time than I hoped! That lake is a little too big to be traveling with a trolling motor....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.