A couple questions from a new guy

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

A couple questions from a new guy

Postby pluckinduck » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:30 pm

Well towards the end of the 2012-13 season I signed up on the site and told everyone I've never hunted before but will be this October. I can not wait to get out there!

My question is if this grass in the pictures is any good to use for a blind? We have a ton of it in my parents yard and I feel like once it will brown in color look like stuff for sale online? I'm 100% new so if this is a dumb idea no feelings hurt haha

I'm from the north part of cape may county in upper township, my other question is has anyone had good hunts up the tuckahoe river, middle river, or I believe it's call patcon creek? It's the three river mouths by the garden state parkway bridge that connects upper township to somers point.

I'll never ask for someone to tell me their spot, just looking for information towards the right direction of a fun hunt... Thank you very much to anyone to take the time to help!!
Attachments
image.jpg
pluckinduck
hunter

Re: A couple questions from a new guy

Postby pluckinduck » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:31 pm

More grass
Attachments
image.jpg
pluckinduck
hunter

Postby B.E.Nelli » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:37 pm

Yep it will work fine. We never buy grass, some of my buddies work for a landscape company. So every fall they cut down the tall grass and we use it for brushing in our ground blinds.
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby pluckinduck » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:19 pm

Thank you very much for the help!
pluckinduck
hunter

Postby altrocker1 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:32 pm

cut it and apply it while its still green if you can. grasses are easier to bend when they are green..if you wait till they are brown they can get bitter and break if you're not careful. we always used green marsh weeds on our blind when i was a kid...its a little time consuming, but its free
altrocker1
hunter

Postby pluckinduck » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:11 am

Great advice, thank you. I have a feeling ill be spending a very long time tieing it all up and trying to make the boat look good. Ill post some pictures as I go
pluckinduck
hunter

Postby FFT » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:28 am

Zip tie the grass into bundles, it makes them easier to work with. I usually bunch em up to roughly the diameter of a broom stick. The stuff tends to hold up a bit longer like that as well. And only tie up halfway, the tops will remain looking more natural.
FFT
hunter

Postby papageno » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:50 pm

Funny story-dont know if its true.... Some fellows brushed a field goose blind with ornamental grasses. It all went up in a flash fire on their first shot. It may have been that giant feather reed grass (Pampas Grass). 'Might want to dry some and give it a test first.
papageno
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting