How did we do today on the Raritan?

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

How did we do today on the Raritan?

Postby Modified_Choking » Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:49 pm

I got skunked (literally in the duck hunting sense - I choked with my Modified tube - hence my username). Can't hit the broad side of barn!
I'm talkin bout the Lifestyle of the not so rich and famous.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:15 pm

Oh man, don't feel bad, i was out there on wed, and shot 23 shells for 3 birds, luckily i redeemed myself on thurs with 5 shots for 3 birds, where were you, on the bay or the river, and how was the action aside from your crooked sights, many birds around, i'm thinking of hitting it on mon, rain and snow showers, should be an awesome day.
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Modified_Choking » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:38 pm

Where was I?

That's always one to think about...worst case scenario...you might have been someone I pissed off at some time in the past. Maybe coming out late, setting up too close, or skybusting (I learned what that means just a few posts ago).

I've probably been guilty of 'em all at some point or another. From now on you can call me Kaiser Sose.

I usually hunt Union Beach. There's lots of Blacks in the creeks. Always see Buffleheads and Brant. Geese also like the creeks. All the waterfowl love the sewer plant. As for the sea-faring birds. .. I'm sure you marvel at the rafts flooding into South Amboy down to Keyport. I am assuming they are Bluebills?

I'd love to hunt them more often but putting a boat in when you have to go to work on a weekday is tough. So, occassionally we'll head out to the open water on weekends. Usually when we do, they go where we are not. Still trying can be funstrating; yes fun and frustrating all at once.

I'll probably be out on Monday too- before work.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:01 pm

Kaiser Sose, i love it, Well i dont think you have done anything to me, and if you did, i'm at the point in my life, where i just let it go anymore, plus i usually have my son with me, and he doesn't need to see dad lose his mind over a duck
For the last 2-3 weeks watching those rafts of birds, i thought they were broadies too, but the last 2 times out i managed to get close and alot of them are scoters, there are broadieas out there though, but the scoters are pretty cool to see mostly surfs, but i naileed a hen common last week,.
I work shift work, all midnights, but have alot of time off during the week, works out pretty well for a duck hunter, less crowds, and i go when the wife is working, kids are in school, so no one yells , your never here!!!!!, it's to the point that if i'm off during the week , my wife just assumes i'll be in a swamp somewhere'
Anyway, good luck on mon and be safe, wind is supposed to be pretty high, 15-20mph
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Modified_Choking » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:59 pm

Glad you liked the Kaiser Sose reference. I thought it was clever.

As for the etiquette items...I'm learning. This is my 3rd season as you may have heard me say and my partner and I have pretty much been teaching ourselves.

So, we've got Scoters? Never got one of those. Closest thing I've seen to such a deep diver is when my partner got a male Oldsquaw (long-tail) on closing day last year. That is a beatiful bird - the pink on the beak and all.

Have you ever hunted Matawan Creek inlet @ Keyport? We've stayed away because it seems as if old-timers hunt that. We didn't want to step on anyone's toes being new to waterfowling.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:53 pm

Yea, it was a good line, and i don't care for the old timer reference ( just joking) i have been ducking for about 35 yrs, maybe seroiusly, the last 10, but i still wouldn't consider my self an expert, i do ok, but more important is i am having a ball doing it, etiquette wise, i figure if i wouldn't like it done to me , i wont do it to someone else, but being on these sites could give a newbie some worry, some of these guy's act like this is curing cancer, and if your not doing it right, you shouldnt be out there, i say p*$# on them, go out there, learn and have fun, i have learned a ton from my father who is still very involved today, as a matter of fact, he's going with me on mon, but i learn alot on my own, just by paying attention to whats going on out there, weather conds, time of season etc.i also keep a log, with some general info, where i hunt, time of day, weather cond, stuff like that, as far as the scoters, they are new to me also, up until about 2-3 years ago, i hunted mostly puddlers, when i came down to the bay, it was usually with my dad, but this is the 1st time i have seen them in that close, my dad said he doesn't think they will stay in there too much longer, it's not that normal for them to be in there, hopefully i will get a few before they leave, and i am dying to try sea ducks out on the ocean, i just don't have the equip for it.
I have been down there at least once a week if not more ever since thisseason started, and i havent seen anyone in matawan creek yet, i'm not sure if the mouth of the creek would be such a great spot, with boat traffic, and cloeness to the road and all, but on youth day this year, we took the kids back in that marsh, there is a channel that always has water in it, and they did a ton of shooting, i have heard guy's back in there last year, but not really that often, and as far as old timers, or anyone else having any claim to that spot, thats bull, it's public land, if your willing to get up an extra hour early to get back in there, than as far as i'm concerned, it your spot for that day, anyway, i hope some of my rant has helped, feel free to ask anything anytime. crew :
Last edited by crewchief252 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby crewchief252 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:04 am

were you guy's hunting off the beach there last sat(25th) if so my son and i were just out in front of you and up toward the point a bit, we heard the shooting from over there, and saw guy's standind at the top of that small cove on our way in
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Modified_Choking » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:03 pm

Almost...that was my partner and our friend who is a new recruit this season. I was in South Carolina for the Holiday. I had me a 3-day pass down there. Missed a shot a 4 Pintails that flew right in front of me...I was looking through my binoculars in amusement at a couple of boats stuck in old rice paddies. The birds flew right into my field of vision. I grabbed for the gun but it was too late. Oh well...I'll get 'em next year when I go down for X-Mas.

On the etiquette...yeah we're learning as we go. I guess I made it sound worse than it was. But, there was one instance two years ago where we set up late and probably too close to some other guys. They got ticked off and were yelling at us. We felt bad but just went as quickly as we could. They ended up leaving about an hour later. Just after they left...the shooting really was good. Oh well. They had a boat and we didn't. So it was easy for them to move. Still felt a little bad though.

Didn't make it out yesterday...going tomorrow instead.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:30 pm

I'm guessing you saw my post for yesterday, was a bust, bay was way to rough to go out where the birds were, hope you guy's did better today, keep me posted. Good hunting
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Modified_Choking » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:15 am

We went out first light...once again I missed one coming straight on above. Then my buddy dropped it. Black Duck. There were plenty of them. There was another guy opposite where we were who also dropped a Black.

They were traveling in groups of about 7 - 10. They got up from the finger creeks and followed the wind across towards Cliffwood/Laurence Harbor. I suspect they might have moved to Cheesequake Creek.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting