felt like six flags

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

felt like six flags

Postby crewchief252 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:46 pm

Tried to hit the bay this a.m., ended up in the marsh for the 1st hour, saw 3, no shots, then moved out to open water and set up on cliffwood beach, very few flying, and all headed out into the whitecaps, 1st time i've been skunked down there this season, was hunting with my dad so it was still good, but coming in felt like a six flags ride
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jomachn3 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:04 pm

The picture is that where the free standing blind use to be? About 15 yrs ago there use to be a free standing blind right on the border of laurence harbor and cliffwood beach. Use to go next to pluming store across from SJP on 35 to gain access to it
jomachn3
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:29 am

i don't know, we were right on the back of the marsh in Keyport, from that pic, the ramp would be at your 2 oclock, there is a mulch pile right behind us.
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jomachn3 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:11 am

Years and yeras ago we use to set up right across from the boat ramp until the cops started breaking balls. It seemed that one day a groupe was chasing a cripple twards the ramp and wound up shooting a car windshield out. We found this out because a Keyport cop came thru the weeds and started screaming at us. Luckly we had our limit 20 minutes after we set up. It was great back then. We then moved out to good luck point and started doing the job out there. Snows used to land in the grass out there on the point. We always hunted the light houses off of S. Amboy and the marsh off the beach before the housing explosion occured. How's the bay been? It's been about 15yrs since I hunted it. Thinking about making the trip up there and give it a try.....John
jomachn3
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:48 pm

we've been having a ball down there, tons of buffs, mergs, squaws are starting to show up, even got a scoter last week, about a mile straight out from the ramp, my kid has shot 3 boxes of shells down there in 4 trips, so we got buffs, mergs, scoter,brant, black s, squaws,. and 1 broadie, probably be out there next wed and thurs . Yesterday was the first time getting skunked down there.
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jomachn3 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:22 pm

We used to shoot alot of golden eye, squaws and buffs. The bb would hang so far out in the middle and would not even move that well. I would put out a spread of 200+ being mostly of bb's w/squaw and golden eye and it still looked small. Some times we would get flocks of 40 to 60 bb's in. It was great back then.
jomachn3
hunter

Postby Modified_Choking » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:22 am

jomachn3 - I see guys set up in Keyport all the time - opposite the boat ramp and am unaware of any issues with the Police, windshields, etc. And, this is my third season waterfowling.

I suspect if any issues had come up over the past three years that no one would being setting up there - but they do.
I'm talkin bout the Lifestyle of the not so rich and famous.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby jomachn3 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:00 am

MOD- I'm talking about 12 to 15 yrs ago. The way we found out was after we launched out of brows point marina we rode up the creek. We stopped when a lg flock came down the creek and we shot our limit not 20 minutes after we launched. While picking up the birds a man came down to the water front yelling at us. To tell you the turth the guy looked like a preist white collar black jacket and pants. Well contrary to our belief we said what's a preist doing with a 357 mag. Well it was a keyport cop and he told us what had happened and then proceded to tell us to get the hell out of here pick up our birds and go home. I believe the spot across from the boat ramp is cliffwood beach. We use to park at the end of the street where the kfc was and walk to the water. Those cops in that town started to give tickets to anyone that was parked there. It was a good spot to hunt back then. You just had to get out there before anyone else did to claim the spot. How's it been now?
jomachn3
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:58 pm

the last couple of years we use that beach often enough, mostly when there is a bunch of us and were using the layout, we set up the chase boat on the beach with the layout about 1/4 mile out, but other guy's have hunted there and back in the marsh, and we've never been bothered by anyone, when the cond are right, the broadies will come in off the bay and circle past the beach, so the beach set up gets first shot, then if your lucky they swing back out over the layout.
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting