new duck hunter

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

new duck hunter

Postby hunt1940 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:33 pm

i am new to the site and new to duck hunting. i've always wanted to learn to duck hunt and now that i own my own business i have off in the winter starting in early december.since i only hunt ny for deer my season is over early. i'm going on my first hunt with reedy creek outfitters in jan..i noticed posts about the raritan bay . if possable can i get some help and ideas where to put in the boat etc or anything i might need to hunt there.since it is to be the closest area that produces ducks close to me.

hunt1940
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:54 pm

Welcome to the site. What area of the bay are you near, do you have a boat, what size??, dog, decoys, etc? I am the one who puts up most of the raritan bay posts, hunting has been pretty good down there this year so far, even with the smell of copertone coming off the boat ( warm weather)
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hunt1940 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:15 pm

i,m from bergen county..and the bay seems to be the closet place that i can tell that has good duck numbers...no dog yet...ah boat i have access to a 14 ft v hull and might by a 12 v hull..decoys i will by what i need .i just need some direction to start . like i said i'am going with reedy creek outfitters in jan.......and my inlaws have a house in little egg harbor i know theres good hunting down there also...i will try to learn some of that this summer
hunt1940
hunter

Postby Modified_Choking » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:55 pm

Welcome aboard...

The NJDEP Geographic Information Systems (GIS) division has a very good on-line mapping website that you should take a look at...

Goto:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/gis/

Then hover your mouse pointer over "Interactive Mapping" and click on "i-MapNJ DEP"

A pop-up window will open explaining all about the mapping application.

To physically open the application, click on "Launch...i-MapNJ DEP"

The first layer that you should turn on (by checking the check-box for visible) is "Open Space (State)". This data layer includes all the State-owned public land. If you click on the "identify" button at the top of the mapping viewer and then click on the various (green) Open Space lands you will see the name and use of the land.

Also note, the various mapping layers have pre-set visibility thresholds. The closer you zoom-in, the layers will become visible. The 2002 color infra-red aerial photography is one such example.

I took a quick look in your area...you might want to check out Saw Mill Creek WMA. I would be willing to bet you would have Black Duck in that area at first light. Set up on the edge of one of those water passage cuts in the marsh. I would use a boat. You might be able to launch at that little place called BELLEMEAD PRESERVE on BERRYS CREEK right where it meets the HACKENSACK RIVER.

The manner in which I described above should give you some insight into how I go about looking for places to hunt.

Also, if you are just starting out don't think that you NEED decoys, a call or a million other extra's. Do you decoy deer in NY? Probably not...you do your homework and pattern the deer or atleast take educated guesses. Do the same for ducks. Camoflauge is good though. You don't want ducks flaring away from you out of range. If you take that 12 or 14 footer, do something to help your boat blend into the marsh.

Give it a try man...Good Luck!
I'm talkin bout the Lifestyle of the not so rich and famous.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby hunt1940 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:19 am

thanks very much for the help i,m going to look into that right now......... :thumbsup:
hunt1940
hunter

Postby hunt1940 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:21 am

ps can you eat the ducks from there??
hunt1940
hunter

Postby Modified_Choking » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:36 pm

I couldn't say for sure...in general though I say why not? If we apply logic and say waterfowl are migratory then, they would have to be eating glowing forage all the way from Canada to be a sketchy meal. And I doubt that is the case.

Let us know if you see any birds out there on a scouting mission.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby hunt1940 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:50 pm

first step is to go tommorrow and find the boat lauch i will post what i find
hunt1940
hunter

Postby Modified_Choking » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:59 pm

FYI...I'm not positive a boat launch exists at that place I mentioned previously. Rather, it was a speculation.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:22 pm

Hunt1940, for raritan bay, i launch at Keyport municipal ramp, there are also ramps at leanardo, and atlantic highlands, and i think there is one in keansburg
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hunt1940 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:26 am

FYI...I'm not positive a boat launch exists at that place I mentioned previously. Rather, it was a speculation.

on the wma map it shows a boat lauch..over by train station

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting