New to the area....

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

New to the area....

Postby tspeedm » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:52 am

Hello All!

Wanted to introduce myself. I am new to the area, I have been living in Philadelphia area for about 6 months now. Made the move from Wisconsin and I tell you it is a lot different over here! My experience waterfowl hunting is pretty strong. I hunted fields, marshes and open waters over in Wisconsin for over 15 years. I don't mind hunting puddlers early in the season but I really prefer to hunt divers. My specialty has been open water hunting. Back home we shot a lot of cans, redheads and bills. We also have a real good population of sea ducks on Lake Michigan and I was one of the first guys to really hunt the big water hard. Scooter and Old Squaws by the thousands and lots of fun! I don't have a boat right now over here so just looking at some of my options. I would say in a year or two I will be gearing up with a sea duck rig for sure. Being in Philly I am not sure what hunting opportunities I would have. I use to hunt early season ducks in public marshes back home and it was a blast. Over here I am not sure what my options are? I would love to shot some puddle ducks this year and find some places that I can just throw on my waders and head out. I have a strict policy when I hunt personally to only shot drakes and I have no problem if someone else shoots hens I just choose not to. I am great with a call and don't mess around. I have a few questions so I thought I would start here....can anyone tell me what part of the Chesapeake Bay guys open water hunt for divers? (what city or town do you typically launch out of) Any ideas for public marshes to hunt? What about the Atlantic Ocean what port should I be hunting out of for seaducks? Do you get any eiders this far south? If anyone can point me in the right directions that would be great. Would love to tag a long on some hunts in the future if possible....I could exchange a hunt or two for some bass fishing on the bay. Have a 21 foot Triton Bass boat and just came off of the Bassmaster Elite Series so I tend to think I know what I am doing on the fishing side. Thanks!

Travis Manson
Attachments
18659_251074225778_8191198_n.jpg
tspeedm
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting