make any duck taste good{jerkey}

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

make any duck taste good{jerkey}

Postby ed wells » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:25 pm

i have been making jerkey from the geese and ducks ishot tis year. i got some hickory smoked marinade from cabelas and you cant tell between beef and ducks this stuff is great.the only thing you need is a food dehydrator.i even made jerkey from buffleheads and mergansers and they taste the same as the other ducks.now i can shoot the not so good eating ducks and enjoy eating them.
ed wells
hunter

Postby Modified_Choking » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:14 pm

I've just discovered something new myself on the taste of Mergs. After posting a subject line in the cooking forum about hanging game...one of the responses I got was about letting the duck just sit in the fridge for a few days after breasting or dressing.

I did that with a Hooded Merg. It was my first a couple of weeks ago and I didn't feel right about totally wasting it. So, it sat for 6 days in the fridge.

Then, I fired up the grill and sprinkled with a little grill mates...about 3 minutes each side. It was perfect.

I too will bag and eat Mergs and other traditionally non-palatable ducks where previously would pass them up.
I'm talkin bout the Lifestyle of the not so rich and famous.
Modified_Choking
hunter

Postby ed wells » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:38 pm

i will have to try that next time i get a merganser or bufflehead.
ed wells
hunter

Postby hunt1940 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:42 pm

what i did with brat was slice the breast in 2 the cut thin strip and let them soak in salt water for a day drawing all the blood out..changing the water every 8 hrs or so..marinade it in soy sause dipped in flower.fried on high flame for a couple minutes.took it off the flame...got some snow peas ,red onion and brocolli put it in a wok cooked them up and then mixed the 2 with some stir fry sause.let me tell you if my wife ate it it must have been good..
hunt1940
hunter

Postby stevez » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:20 pm

You mean to tell me that simply allowing a merg to rest in the refrigerator removes that horrid flavor?
stevez
hunter

Postby hunt1940 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:35 pm

you have to soak it in the refrig in salt water as long as possable
hunt1940
hunter

Postby stevez » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:57 pm

I don't know. Maybe next year I'll try it again when I feel brave
stevez
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting