Where's the birds?

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Where's the birds?

Postby bayside » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:33 am

Not your hunting spots, where are the reports for SZ opening day?
A buddy and I hunted a salt pond on D-bay. Saw alot of teal, not so many black ducks. Had a good number of birds come to our pond, but unfortunately could not get them to gun range, think I need a mojo. First bunch in range we wiffed on. But each scored a GWT on second opportunity. Closed out the morning early due to family commitments, but sure good getting out.
bayside
hunter

Re: Where's the birds?

Postby mr.green » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:51 am

I hunted last Saturday and flushed birds on the way in to a freshwater creek. Set up and saw very few birds flying with minimal shooting. I was using a mojo and it seemed to make birds weary and avoid us. I eventually took it down but am not sold on using a mojo. I'm wondering if the spot is better in the pm.
mr.green
hunter

Postby Wallew » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:39 pm

Went out Saturday with my buddy and three teenagers on their first hunt. My buddy and I were determined to get the boys at least a few birds. Every time we got a few in the spread we would call the shot for them. They scared the crap out of quite a few birds but didn't hit anything.

We got a few wood ducks early, two six packs of teal mid morning, and a few mallards around lunch. We saw quite a few high flyers that weren't interested in us. We actually got a few geese to land in the spread and couldn't shoot because goose is out right now.

Finally around 4pm I decided I had done enough bird watching for the day and announced I was taking the shot on the next bird that came in. Of course nothing else came in.

The birds are around if you do enough scouting and put the time in the blind. During the september goose season i saw more ducks than i can ever remember this early in the season. I'm going out after work tomorrow. Hopefully I have more to report after that trip.
Wallew
hunter

Postby Tr1ggerHappy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:58 am

Hunted opening day scored 2 teal. with about 30-40 trucks at the boat ramp...it was ww2 for about the first 1/2 hour then after that nothing. Not much flying had 3 small flocks of teal come in early then some lone big ducks up high towards the afternoon. When loading up the boat i talked to multiple people who were pulling very few if any singles and doubles thats talking to about 6 different guys. Hunted this morning seen 3 flocks all morning, nothing wanted to commit, had 1 mallard real late commit and dropped him..
Tr1ggerHappy
hunter

Postby bayside » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:45 pm

Thanks for replies. I was beginning to think I was only guy HUNTING on opening day. For lack of reports, I was beginning to think all those other gunshots were clay shooters. :rolleyes:
Got out again this am and found wood ducks. Birds worked over the decoys several times on two different passes (about 45 minutes apart). Did not shoot because I thought they were going to decoy to the blocks, but in the end chose to land away about 80 yds. Is this normal or was there a "tell" keeping them away? I've heard that wood ducks are mostly about being on the X, but sure did think they were going to commit.
bayside
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting