Coastal Zone

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Coastal Zone

Postby killer0009 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:36 pm

Well since the south zone is out for a little and i need to get my fix, i figure i might as well try the coastal (even though it is still early and warm as crap). Anyone down around the sea isle area been seeing any ducks worth going after? I'm not trying to get spots out of anyone, i used to hunt down there before i went into the Marines, i just havent been in a while. Any helped is greatly appreciated since it is about an hour away.
"When you have shot one bird flying you have shot all birds flying. They are all different and they fly in different ways but the sensation is the same and the last one is as good as the first."- Ernest Hemingway
killer0009
hunter

Re: Coastal Zone

Postby LeakyBoot » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:16 pm

Last week I only saw Brant and Black Ducks around the Coastal Zone.
LeakyBoot
hunter

Postby bayside » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:49 pm

Aint scouting coastal. With all the time I put in searching SZ, the damn birds still were two steps ahead of me. I'm going with the Force for coastal. Cant work out any worse than SZ. :tongue:
bayside
hunter

Postby SkylerUSMC » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:10 pm

I see ducks around Upper Township flying towards Oc but I dont go towards Seaisle sorry.
SkylerUSMC
hunter

Postby FFT » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:17 pm

Brant and BD been showing up behind my house. I can live with that for the first week. I'm actually looking forward to hunting brant with Shannon and the pup, as they will absolutely love the action.
FFT
hunter

Postby cedar creek sam » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:26 pm

Wow, hard to believe the season opens on the coast so soon. Saw lots of brant in Belmar and even some a couple of miles out on the ocean. Few scoters on that trip however.
CC SAM

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
cedar creek sam
hunter

Postby don novicki » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:09 pm

One of these days I'm going to pack up the boat and layout and drive up there and see what I can do freelance style for divers and Brant. Do you think a guy from Western Pennsylvania with no knowledge of the area could do any good up there? the only thing that scares me is the ocean and I sure as heck wouldn't want to be out there without some really really big water experience....
don novicki
hunter

Postby cedar creek sam » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:24 pm

You just have to pick your day very carefully, and be sure to watch for a wind that comes up late morning, and wind against tide going in and out of inlets. I'd suggest Belmar inlet which is much, much less scary than Barnegat.

An alternative would be to launch and hunt Great Bay on a quiet day as well, which has lots of buffs, OS, and later in the season more bluebills than you can ever decoy, as well as brant....

Either one could be done if you're willing to quit quickly the moment you get uncomfortable with the situation, if your motor is very reliable, and if you're ready to stop even if you're not even out of the inlet yet. Always a pain to cancel, but safer.... Water depths can be 30 to 70 feet so you need lots of anchor line and lots of decoy line to get them to hold as well as small Danforths or, my choice, heavy sash weights for the decoys.

A couple of good radios, a couple of good GPS's are advised. The CG can pick up transmissions from handhelds without a problem but they should be waterproof for rain and spray.

We find 3 guys in the boat is easiest: one for the motor, two for the decoy setting and retrieval. Possible with 2 but definitely makes one guy work hard.
CC SAM

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
cedar creek sam
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting