How do you know where U are allowed to hunt ducks in NJ ????

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

How do you know where U are allowed to hunt ducks in NJ ????

Postby jerseyjoe » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:25 am

whats up Gents,,

How do you know if there are places to hunt other than the one's posted on the NJ WMA's list??

thanks

Joe
jerseyjoe
hunter

Postby crewchief252 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:29 am

What areas are you looking to hunt in?, do you have specific places in mind you want to know about?
Just once i would like to hear you scream in pain !....wanna hear me scream in pain? Play some rap music!
crewchief252
Forum & State Moderator

Postby njplotts » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:58 am

First is it pirvate or public? If private ask the owner. If public the town hall will have the answer. Either way will take some work on your part. Even public place need to be scouted. Cyber scouting will only tell you so much. You have to get out there in the off season & chase these locations down.
njplotts
hunter

Postby jerseyjoe » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:30 pm

i dont really have any particular places in mind, but being that I am now hooked on duck hunting lolol Im sure I will come across more places I would like to try and I was juct curious how to inquire if they could be hunted or not. there are so many marsh lands in jersey but all are wma's
jerseyjoe
hunter

Postby njplotts » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:50 pm

Just know if it's a WMA & has ducks IT GETS over gunned . So the ducks leave with 1st light & stay out until after shooting time
njplotts
hunter

Postby meadowmucker » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:32 pm

I would offer that the Coastal Zone from Absecon Bay and all the 30 some miles down to Cape May is totally under hunted. There are multiple days on the bays and cuts, the only hunter there is me

As for the South Zone - the whole Great Egg Harbor, Belleplain and parts of the Cohansey estuaries are also.

There are weeks when I hear only a dozen shots or so (usually Bang - Bang - Bang in one volley) near the meadows surrounding my house

Sure wish there were more hunting these areas to move the birds around.

But, if you do come, please be a sportsman and set up more than a mile apart :thumbsup:
Regards
John
meadowmucker
Newb

Postby stevez » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:11 pm

Hunt during the week and even the busiest WMA's suddenly become your own little oasis. Saturdays can make you hate the sport.

Think tidal water and tributaries. This is where you will find water that isn't beat up as much day in and day out. You will need a boat ofcourse but it's worth the trouble. Tidal water is generally huntable as long as you abide by the other rules and regulations. Some townships may have restrictions regarding firearm discharge but most do not as long as you are legally hunting
stevez
hunter

Postby stevez » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:13 pm

More than a mile apart?
I don't think I could even tell if someone was 1/2 mile away.
stevez
hunter

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:23 pm

Where do you want to hunt?, lakes, rivers, bay, pond etc. What do you want to hunt?, divers, puddles. What type of equpment do you have? boat/no boat. What type of hunting you like to do? jump shooting along a river or marsh or only over dekes? I would recomend spending a few dollars get the Delorem map of NJ, contact fish and game in Trenton for thier map and plot a few places. Now is a good time to get out and scout and see what you like.Beside WMA there is Federal Land, State forest, State Parks and if you know someone with private property asking permission.Good luck.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Postby jerseyjoe » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:34 pm

thanks for the input guys,, lots of food for thought...
jerseyjoe
hunter

Postby rman114 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:09 pm

Exactly, hunt on a weekday and any WMA will feel practically deserted. The best thing to do is take half a day from work and leave around 12 or so and head to the marsh for the evening flight.
Great times.
Also if you can manage to take that half day on a rainy day you'll have a memorable trip!
rman114
hunter

Postby iraevski » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:47 pm

i didnt know you could hunt state parks, is there a list of places like that anywhere on the net?

IR
iraevski
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting