Veteran's Day Hunt

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Veteran's Day Hunt

Postby pvn6616 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:29 pm

Having taken advantage of the holiday in honor of our fathers and brothers who have given their lives for our country and those who are presently serving, my friend Alex and I spent the day on the bay protecting our shores from invading ducks. It was a fairly quiet day, we began hunting a favorite honey hole and we passed on a pair of Hooded Mergansers and had a pair of Blackies land just before LST. Around 8:30 we picked up and moved out to the open waters and spent the rest of the day waiting for action. We scratched out a black, drake mallard and a hen bufflehead and I missed a nice shot on another blackie landing in the decoys. We had birds flying all day long but the nice weather kept them safe from our guns. The bay is loading up with Brant, Buffies are also showing up in significant numbers, and the Black ducks are showing decent numbers as well. Looks like this season may shape up to be a decent one. Keep the fingers crossed the weather gods are with us and we all get some action in the weeks to come.
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Re: Veteran's Day Hunt

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:12 pm

Sounds like a nice hunt to me.
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Re: Veteran's Day Hunt

Postby duk_hunter155 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:33 am

What part of the bay were you in? We hunted Gunning River on Sat only saw 3 ducks if you want to call them that all day all we could only harvest a Brant, mergee and buffie. Not a real duck anywhere same story the Sat before hopefully they will all come down in mass once we get weather.
duk_hunter155
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting