Will be searching for a new boat

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

Will be searching for a new boat

Postby johnboy07 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:06 am

Going to be searching for a new duck boat after season is over. Just unsure what to go with. I have hunted out of a duck wrangler, Jon boat and a sneakbox. I really like the way the duck wrangler (which I know they are Duck Boss boats now) is set up. And I like the how high the sides are. But on the other hand I like how well a sneakbox hides. I also want to be able to take my girls out cruising during the off season. So what are your guys thoughts? Which way should I go? My girls are young 8 and 6.
"You know your team's not in the race when guys are growing beards for the duck hunting season."

— Steve Boros
:beer:
johnboy07
State Moderator

Re: Will be searching for a new boat

Postby syoung_1854 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:44 am

Sounds almost like those age old debates about the "perfect" hunting dog, "perfect" deer rifle, "perfect" shotgun... but sometimes there isn't a perfect solution that fits all needs. I won't say I figured it all out, cause I haven't... our family is a one dog, one boat family, so our lab will have to flush pheasants/grouse AND pick up ducks and our boat will have to be up for some crabbin/fishin in the summer AND get us to some ducky spots in the fall/winter. So my "perfect" boat turned out to be an 18 ft. aluminum boat pushed by a GTR-35hp mud motor. It doesn't hide as well as a sneak box for sure, and I find I prefer to hunt from shore when I can stash it near by, but for almost all other events that mud motor is the ticket in thin water and just about any tidal application that Jersey can offer. My buddy had it shipped up from Gatortail in Louisiana and I bought it off him.
syoung_1854
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting