question about painting a Skiff

A state with an abundant amount of waterfowl. Share with others your New Jersey duck hunting experiences.

Moderators: crewchief252, johnboy07

question about painting a Skiff

Postby pluckinduck » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:19 am

I have a 14' flat bottom carolina skiff that I am thinking about using to hunt out of. I never hunted before and will probably miss this year but I would like to ask this question. has anyone painted their fiberglass boat with the dark colors for camo? Im asking because I was thinking maybe in the dead of summer the beating sun and heat could do damage to the boat?? like delaminating fiberglass?? just curious and any information is very appreciated to help me decide whether or not its a good idea
pluckinduck
hunter

Re: question about painting a Skiff

Postby Mugzwump » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:09 pm

I've done both both a 19' fiberglass hull and a some kind of poly-plastic canoe by mad river, with krylon spray. On the fiberglass, it worked well, i did it over gel coat in most places, and directly over the glass in others. It'll chip of in spots, especially around sharp edges and where my anchor chain bangs around. But i'll just touch it up now and then with whatever colours I have left.

On the canoe, it looks great, but isn't too durable. But I drag that thing everywhere.

Mugz
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby cedar creek sam » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:21 pm

I have a converted Sunfish which was painted directly over the gelcoat. Needs touchup a bit...esp. after Sandy whacked it around...but no negative effects otherwise. As Dave Steckley about his paint job on his boat which may provide more information too.
CC SAM

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Theodore Roosevelt
cedar creek sam
hunter

Postby pluckinduck » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:57 pm

Thanks to both of you. I'm not concern about paint chipping away, I can touch that up as much as I need to. What I was more worried about was painting the skiff dark colors and having some kind of problem when it's baking in the sun... Who's Dave? Thanks!
pluckinduck
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:08 pm

If anything the paint will protect the fiberglass from the sun. There are some good youtube videos of people explaining how to make up some nice camo. In my experience, the first colour to go down will set the tone of the finished paint job. On the canoe I did a gray primer coat over the whole thing, and then patterns in darker colours over that, followed by a light bullrush pattern. It all but disappears in low light.

Hope yours works out.

Mugz
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby pluckinduck » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:07 am

Thank you, I will check out youtube
pluckinduck
hunter

Return to New Jersey Duck Hunting