Duck Hunting Forum banner

Shrewsbury

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Joefed 
#1 ·
Wanted to take my youngest son, age 9, out for his first duck hunting experience today. Since decorating the house, getting a tree ect took up the morning I figured a little two hour duck hunt on the river in late afternoon would be a good break in for him to learn to sit still and stay covered. Well unfortunately someone had set up already. We watched him or them for a bit as I explained the decoys, the motion decoy, where the boat was set up etc. A duck almost landed in the dekes while we were their, not sure why no shot, could have been since the duck came from behind no one saw it before it figured out something about the set up it did not like and kept flying. My son was all excited and wants to get out next week.

#2 ·
Fitz,

That is wonderful that you can share the experience of hunting with your son. You are starting him out perfectly, a two hour stint is enough to expose them but not kill them at that age. Too bad someone was there already, way cool to sit back and do a color commentary though! I'm envious, as my son never gained the love of the outdoors like his dad and grand dad, although he does enjoy shooting skeet and plinking w/ the 22

Keep up the good work.

Pete

#3 ·
Pete,
Time will tell if all my sons continue to hunt, my oldest the 16 year old has his license and is a very good shot with a few birds to his name already. The middle one started the on line course but got caught up with H.S. football and needs to finish. The youngest one is likley to be the most into hunting as he is into anything that gets him outside.
As far as someone being their that is the roll of the dice, particularly on a Saturday. In theory two parties could hunt and I dont mind if Im their and someone wants to join me or move to another point, but when I am beating to the spot I"ll just go home or hit the Navisink. I doubt him or they even knew I was their.

#4 ·
Merry Christmas all,

This is my first season hunting, and I was wondering if there was any spots along the Shrewsbury or Navesink where you can hunt without a boat? Im familiar with the area, but want to find a legal spot where you don't need a boat to hunt. Any information would be great thank you for the help.

Thanks again,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.